- "Andross' enemy is my enemy!"
- —Andrew in Star Fox 64
- "I am the one and only true heir to the great emperor Andross! The new emperor, Andrew Oikonny!"
- —Andrew Oikonny
Andrew Oikonny (アンドリュー・オイッコニー, Andoryū Oikkonī) , usually called only by his surname, is the nephew of Andross. In Star Fox 64, Oikonny flies with Star Wolf and primarily goes after Slippy Toad in battles against the Star Fox team for unknown reasons, possibly a rivalry that started over superior intellect in the past or the fact that both are the least experienced pilots of their respective teams.
Andrew's first appearance was in Star Fox 64, where he was a part of Star Wolf. He would always attack Slippy as his first target. When shot down, he would usually yell "Uncle Andross!" Oikonny appears with the rest of Star Wolf in the missions Fichina or Bolse Defense Station. He is also seen in the "back entrance" to Venom where Star Wolf gets new ships. Andrew isn't heard from again until Star Fox Assault, where he has taken control of the remains of Andross's fleet and declared war on Corneria. After plowing through his fleet and chasing all across Fortuna, Oikonny transforms his ship into what Falco calls an "Andross Wannabe" that is soon destroyed by an Aparoid. Oikonny survives and returns in Star Fox Command as an ally to the Anglars piloting the Death Crab. He is then defeated once again by Fox and his team.
- "Stick to the pond, froggie!"
- —Oikonny to Slippy Toad
According to the official Star Fox 64 strategy guide, he is an inexperienced pilot who only flies to try to follow in Andross' footsteps. In the game, it is shown that he and Slippy have a minor rivalry with each other, as other members have rivalries with other Star Fox members. Unlike the others', Andrew's conflict with Slippy has a foggy background. Andrew is similar to Slippy in that they are both below-average pilots. When they encounter each other at Venom, he had to wear a specialized visor to help him fly the Wolfen II because of injuries to his eyes. Sometime after Andross is killed, Oikonny resigns from Star Wolf (while Pigma is kicked out), according to the official Star Fox Assault manual. His main focus becomes avenging his uncle and becoming emperor of Venom's fleet.
Oikonny rebellion conflictEdit
In Star Fox: Assault, Oikonny, referred to in the game only by his last name (except for one brief moment before his defeat at the hands of an Aparoid boss, and even then only by himself), gathers Andross' remaining troops and forms a rebellion against the Cornerian Army.
The Star Fox team tracks him down to the planet Fortuna, where his ship turns into a large likeness of himself (and resembles Andross, with hands with weak spots located on the palms). During this battle, Oikonny is unexpectedly shot down by an Aparoid Moth. He survives (if Command is believed to be canon), but isn't seen or directly mentioned again until Command.
Oikonny appears again in Star Fox Command, having survived his encounter with the Aparoid. Instead of fighting the Anglar Empire alongside Dash, Andross's grandson (and his second cousin), he joins the Anglars and pilots the Death Crab, confronting Star Fox in Fichina City (the reasons are never explained, but it may have something to do with the fact that his uncle was the one who gave them life in the first place, if the Goodbye Fox scenario is considered canon.). It is unknown if Oikonny will go back to flying with Star Wolf, since he hasn't expressed any interest in going back to his old wingmates. It's also interesting to note that Andrew and Dash never meet face-to-face in this game. In one ending for Command, Dash begins resurrecting the Venomian Army, just as Andrew had tried to do in Assault. It is very likely that Oikonny will join Bowman in his war declaration on Corneria, if this alternate ending is made canon. If so, together they may be Andross' successors over his empire.
In the Japanese version of Star Fox: Assault, he is voiced by Yūsuke Numata, who also voices ROB / NUS64, and in English, John Hugill. Like Leon, Oikonny's Japanese and English voices in Assault are very different. In the Japanese version, he has a high-pitched, somewhat crazed voice, while in the English version, his voice is goofy-sounding (low-pitched in Star Fox 64 and high-pitched in Star Fox: Assault).
Both the Star Fox 64 manga and Assault depict Oikonny leaving the Star Wolf team, although for different reasons: Oikonny's bio in Assault mentioned he resigned from the team so he could focus on avenging Andross and rebuilding the Venomian Army. The 64 manga, however, has him being booted off from Star Wolf alongside Pigma because they disobeyed orders by Wolf O'Donnell via attempting to kill Fox McCloud and the other Star Fox members behind Wolf's back. The Assault instruction manual also supported the story of Oikonny being kicked out of Star Wolf, yet it is not directly stated in the game why he left Wolf's team.
It is interesting to note that when you confront Star Wolf in Venom, he wears some sort of macrobinoculars. He probably wears this due to eye damage after being defeated on Fichina. But in later games, he doesn't wear them. It's also possible that the macrobinoculars were simply necessary for him to pilot the Wolfen II.
- In Star Fox 2, a similar lemur-like character known as Algy represented the Star Wolf team in hard mode. In the common English fan translation, the name was changed to Andrew to be more traditional, although he had a closer resemblance to Dash Bowman. Either way, it is an unconfirmed appearance and should be considered a separate character.
- There is no evidence outside the ambiguously canon Star Fox Command whether Oikonny really did survive the Aparoid attack.
- When shot down by the Aparoid, Andrew Oikonny says "Uncle Andross!" He said the same thing when defeated at Fichina and Bolse on Star Fox 64.
- The relationship between Andrew and Andross is similar to the relationship between Dr. Eggman and Snively Robotnik in the Sonic the Hedgehog comic. Both Andrew and Snively are nephews of their series' respective villains, both are inexperienced when it comes to combat, and both try to usurp their uncles as the ruler when their uncles are out of the picture. Unlike Snively, however, Andrew seems to be genuinely loyal to Andross.
- Oikonny appears to have robotic limbs as seen in his character artwork for Star Fox Assault, suggesting he once fell victim to an accident, or is a reference to the steel anklets worn by the original Star Fox cast.
|Wolf O'Donnell | Leon Powalski | Panther Caroso|
|Andrew Oikonny | Pigma Dengar | Krystal|
|Wolfen | Wolfen II | Wolfen Landmaster (non-canon)|