- "All for us... all things in the universe... will be ours... All for us... everything in this universe... exists for us... Bow before us! SUBMIT TO US!!!!"
- —Aparoid Queen
The Aparoid Queen (アパロイドマザー, Aparoido Mazā, Aparoid Mother) is the hive mother of the entire Aparoid race, primarily made up of the immense assault force. She serves as both the main antagonist and the final boss of Star Fox: Assault.
Physical Apperance and CharacteristicsEdit
The Queen herself is a titan Aparoid, the largest type ever known, possessing a physical structure reminicent of Ant or Bee queens which too dwell in the center caves and tunnels. Within her honeycombed cavern, she is the "source of all Aparoid will", reproducing swarms of drones to spread out across the Lylat System to assimulate lifeforms and relay information back to her.
As proof of bypassing evolution, The Queen adapts various forms to survive. In her first form she is covered in destructable armored plating that can take numerous Laser shots until it is destroyed. In the second, she grows long tentacled mouths that can utilize various energy attacks. And in the third she is reduced to a strange insectoid creature which can use "energy tunnel" style attacks as well as a energy blast attack. During the final battle in the tunnels of the Aparoid Homeworld, the Queen occasionally "speaks." (In her second form.) However, she does not use a comm-link at any point of the battle. This makes her the only speakable boss to not use a comm-link to speak. In her final form, the Aparoid Queen uses an attack that shoots a tunnel of energy that Fox must fly through, and if he flies outside of it he will take damage. This is similar to the Killer Bee in Star Fox 64, who shoots rings that Fox must fly through to avoid taking damage.
The true Aparoid origins are unknown, yet records indicate that the first Aparoid sightings were around seventeen years prior to their invasion, with a single Aparoid destroying an entire Cornerian fleet single handed. Only by studying a complete Core Memory were the Cornerians able to learn of the Queen's existence.
An undeniably intelligent and powerful being, she controls every single mind slaved to the Aparoids, able to access memories, abilities, even machinery with utmost ease for her own dark uses.
During her battle with the Star Fox team in the core of the Aparoid Homeworld, she uses several likenesses from persons she had assimilated, such as Pigma Dengar, General Pepper, Peppy Hare, ROB 64, and even James McCloud, Fox McCloud's father. Thinking quickly, Fox McCloud blasts away her armor shielding and fires the Self-Destruct program into her.
However, the Queen sees the ruse. Then she begins suppressing it, briefly resolving by ordering Star Fox to surrender to her, and nearly escapes to create an antibody to the program. However, the team follows the Queen, blasting her pink "eyes", then hitting her hidden eye, eventually destroying her outer body and then afterwards severely damaging her core form and eventually sapping her strength and allowing the program to work, destroying every Aparoid in existence, releasing all the infected parties from her grasp. According to Fox after the battle, she apparently desired to control the universe in an attempt to bypass evolution, as she was allegedly not born with a soul.
- It is hinted that she is speaking through Pigma when he says "We are the ultimate existence."
- The Aparoid Queen imitates those the Aparoids assimilated, whether or not they survived. However, James was presumed killed by Andross before the Aparoid invasion, and the Aparoids never even came near him. It is unknown how she was able to imitate him, however, she could have been using the memories of Peppy, Pepper, and Pigma. Slippy even says this out loud.
- The Aparoid Queen sounds and acts similar to the hostile computer AI GLaDOS from the game Portal in that both are female, are some form of a computer, and a very powerful force to be reckoned with. However, it should be noted that the Aparoid Queen predates GLaDOS by 2 years (Star Fox: Assault was released in 2005, while Portal was released in 2007).
- It is presumed that the Aparoid Queen is actually the same Aparoid that destroyed the Cornerian Fleet seventeen years prior to the game, considering the time gap and her significance to both the plot and the race's survival.