Smart Bomb launcher
The Arwing (アーウィン Āwin) is the personal starfighter used by members of the Star Fox Team. Despite numerous revisions and redesigns over the course of the team's history, the many models of Arwing have maintained the balance of speed, power and performance that they are credited for.
Original ArwingsUsed by the original Star Fox team of James McCloud, Peppy Hare and Pigma Dengar, the single-seated Arwing featured four advanced G-Diffuser on board engines as large blue structures atop and underneath each wing. A single-beam laser cannon (which could double as a Smart Bomb launcher) was located underneath the nose. Twin and Hyper laser upgrades instead utilized a pair of more powerful laser cannons between the G-Diffuser, with one just below each wing. The rear of the ship housed theengine exhaust, which would change color with the environment -- red for in-atmosphere, and blue for space operations. It was the most advanced ship of it's time, years ahead of any other fighter in Lylat.
The original Star Fox team flew these ships to Venom to investigate the upsurge of activity by exiled scientist, Dr. Andross. Upon arrival, Pigma defected to Andross' side. James' Arwing was shot down, seemingly killing it's pilot. However, despite massive damage and the loss of an entire wing, Peppy Hare's Arwing survived the attack, and Peppy was able to fly the nearly destroyed fighter all the way back to Corneria- A testament to the ship's durability.
It was also used by Fox McCloud and his team to save Lylat from Andross's sudden attack during the Lylat Wars. Putting all environmental conditions and hostile opposition (including 9000 degrees on the Solar star), the Arwing starfighter served as the main source of tactical service and backup support throughout the catastrophic war. With the efforts of the newly reformed Star Fox team's small, quick squadron, Corneria and Lylat were freed from Andross and his Venomian Army. Despite offers to enter the Cornerian Millitary, Star Fox and their Arwings remained a strictly professional mercenaries-for-hire unit only. No one is sure what the Star Fox team did with the money during the Lylat Wars .S.O.S Signal from Katt, Falco hurried off to rescue her at Titania with Star Fox on his tail. Deception from a Cornerian officer named Captain Shears led to a serious dogfight between Fox and Falco, pitting Arwing against Arwing. At this point, Falco concluded that the Arwing is at its most vulnerable after the Barrel Roll technique has finished, for the pilot won't know where the enemy will be after making the distorting roll. Although Falco had lost his duel and yet managed to eventually repair his downed Arwing, he can't help but wonder if either he has gotten worse or Fox has become better than him.
Later on after dealing with Captain Shears and his team, Falco decided to have a temporary leave of absence, taking his Arwing with him. What became of Falco remained unheard of until four years later...Saurian Crisis, the Arwings owned by the Star Fox team were in serious disrepair. Even an ace pilot would have trouble keeping the ship together, due to the modifications made by Slippy Toad; these included the stripping of the targeting computers in exchange for hard currency, as well as the bomb magazines restricted to only one at a time, and the charge ability was taken away, and laser power was poor. Although the navigational computer was still in working order, this model of the Arwing had the capacity of 2 crew members, one of which was the pilot (Fox), and under the belly of the ship was a small cargo holder in which small creatures such as Prince Tricky could stay in while the pilot flew the ship. the Arwing's engines suffered somewhat, making the ship harder to control, but that could be attributed to the fact that the nose had been elongated to allow for cargo space in which small creatures (Prince Tricky) could be transported in. Its able to use brakes and boost but last very shortly. The installation of retractable tripod landing gear was another asset, due to the fact that Arwings would have had to work independently from Great Fox for prolonged periods of time. To provide remote assistance ROB 64 would transmit Fuel Cells to power the Arwing, but these were commonly scattered about, leaving the team to search for them in unorthodox places. It was this stripped down, aging ship that was responsible for the final defeat of Andross.
Even though you can (and will) use the Arwing in Star Fox Adventures, it is less used than in any other game.
ARWING - Has seen better daysSaurian Crisis, they opted to upgrade their weapons, armor, their mothership, the Great Fox and their Arwings. These new, feather-like ships boasted four G-diffusers which allowed for the ship to come to a complete stop, as well as make more advanced maneuvers repeatedly, such as loops and Immelmann turns. The ships however has no bombs present on board, but can equip them in flight, so as to keep the weight down. The flexible wings on the sides allow for easy transition from flight mode to all-range mode, and come equipped with a transponder to allow for these ships to be transmitted to the surface of a planet, similar to the upgraded Landmaster. These ships saw the team through the Aparoid Invasion, performing remarkably through the perils of this brutal war. In addition, the wings of the ships were also strengthened so as to withstand crashing them through the floor, as evidenced by Falco utilizing a maneuver when landing at the Fichina Climate Control Center to aid Fox where he had to flip and slice his wing on the floor to destroy the rest of the sentrybots without any apparent ill-effects to the wing.
Following the Aparoid invasion, the Star Fox Team was outfitted with new ships. Each pilot picked one for themself.
- Fox acquired the Arwing II, a ship resembling the Arwing in Lylat Wars.
- Slippy had the Bullfrog, a bigger ship. It has a thick nose with small wings. It is slow and difficult to maneuver, but makes up for this with it's ability to use plasma cannons, the strongest primary weapon available. Unfortunately, the Bullfrog's cannons lack the ability to charge and lock on to enemies.
- Falco had the Sky Claw. This ship resembled the Arwing II, but with wings directed forward, more round-shaped and with claws on the end. It has a pointed nose. Though it is equipped with the simple single laser, it is the fastest and most maneuverable ship in existence and has the ability to perform multiple somersaults and Immelmann turns. It also has the ability to lock on multiple enemies when charging its laser.
- Krystal, because of her leaving from the Star Fox Team, flew a Cornerian Starfighter, but in some of the possible pathways of the game, she is seen to own a new ship - the Cloud Runner. There, the design of the Arwing almost completely disappeared to resemble the CloudRunner tribe from Star Fox Adventures.
- Also, both Peppy Hare and James McCloud, playable in two of the game's storylines, fly the original Arwing, which resembles the ones seen in the Aparoid Invasion.
|Star Fox 2|
|Energy Charge Time:||● ● ● ●|
|Shields:||● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●|
|Speed:||● ● ● ●|
|Special Item:||Bomb (3x)|
|Star Fox Command|
|Smart Bombs:||● ●|
|Shields:||● ● ● ● ● ●|
|Boost:||● ● ● ●|
|Time Bonus:||● ● ●|
In Super Smash Bros. Series
In Super Smash Bros. Fox used the Arwing to enter the stage. Arwings are also seen blasting at the fighters in the Sector Z stage. They can be used as temporary platforms. Deflecting the lasers with the Reflector can make a useful attack towards opponents.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, the Arwing appeared as a trophy along with the Wolfen. They and the Wolfen are also seen blasting at the fighters in the Corneria and Venom Stages. They too can be ridden as platforms.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it appeared as a trophy and was used again for Fox and Falco's entrances. They also appear in the background of Lylat Cruise in the asteroid belt and the Star Fox Vs. Star Wolf part of the stage. In the Subspace Emissary, Fox used it to attack the Battleship Halberd twice, but it was destroyed in both tries. The first time by a claw on the Halberd, the second time by Shiek. Falco also used it to arrive in the nick of time to save Fox and Diddy Kong from Bowser and his Dark Cannon. Falco, in his Arwing, attacks the Subspace Gunship along with other Ships from different series in Nintendo.
|Arwing (Star Fox)||The Arwing is the symbol of Star Fox. Like an F-Zero racer, it's equipped with an opposing-gravity device. It can barrel roll and flip with ease thanks to its quick acceleration and flexible control. In battle, the ship uses retractable wings for precise flying. Every Arwing has smart bombs as its sub-weapons.|
|Arwing (Star Fox|
Star Fox 64)
|A fighter ship that comprises the main combat unit of Team Star Fox. Boasting anti-gravity systems known as G-Diffusers, Arwings can perform barrel rolls, quick bursts of speed, and loops. They're also equipped with variable wings that can be switched in and out of combat mode. Their main armaments are their laser cannons, and their secondary weapons are smart bombs.|
- The Arwing can be found as an enemy in Kokiri Forest of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time by using an Action Replay or Gameshark device. The Arwing was used as a placeholder to test airborne enemies such as Keese.
- The Arwing also makes an appearance in the GameCube version of Animal Crossing as a raffle prize. It appears again in Animal Crossing: Wild World and City Folk as a spotlight item. In Wild World and City Folk, if the player stands next to the Arwing and presses A, the Starfox theme will play.
- The Arwing seems to be a generalized fighter, based on several different aircraft designs in both popular culture and military service. However, its usage, handling and description in the games makes it very similar to the X-Wing from the Star Wars trilogy.
- The SNES manual implied that General Pepper hastily loaned the Arwings to Star Fox as a last resort, as they are said to be experimental fighters. This was ultimately discarded in series canon.
- Dash Bowman's Monkey Arrow also resembled an Arwing, possibly due to Dash being a big fan of Star Fox, or perhaps due to the successful design of the Arwing having been replicated by the Cornerian Army.
- In Star Fox: Assault, the updated Arwing seems to have been the basis for the redesigned Cornerian Fighter (Or perhaps vice-versa), which, in turn, looks extremely similar to the V-Wing fighter from Star Wars. Its name could also hint this, since it sounds like R-Wing, similar to the Star Wars method of naming a ship after a letter followed by "-Wing". However, the Arwing may also have been named by dropping the first two letters of "Starwing" (the PAL name of the first Star Fox).
- In the first Star Fox, the Arwings are twin G-diffuser experimental craft constructed by the order of General Pepper. In the remake Star Fox 64 and onwards, the Arwings are custom made and modified by Slippy Toad, equipped with four G-diffusers.
- The Arwing's Japanese name is similar to "Irwin" - a human name.
- In the unreleased Star Fox 2, the Arwing has the ability to transform into a bipedal walker. It is likely that the Landmaster replaced this concept, although transformable fighters are possible in the series' future.
- In Star Fox Command, the Arwing and just about any other ship has the ability to fly underwater, which is similar to the purpose of the Blue-Marine. However, it is possible that the Blue-Marine is designed more for deep water exploration.
- In Animal Crossing City Folk, The Arwing model is the same Arwing trophy from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- According to the screenshots from the WCES 95 beta (from EGM, March 1995), In Star Fox 2 the Arwing is called "Arwing MK 2", in the original Star Fox, the Arwing is called "Arwing MK 1".
See also: Arwing/Gallery
- Nintendo Power: Official Nintendo Star Fox 64 Player's Guide, page 17, 1997.
|Fox McCloud | Falco Lombardi | Slippy Toad | Krystal | ROB 64|
|James McCloud | Pigma Dengar | Peppy Hare|
|Lucy Hare | Amanda | Tricky|
|Marcus McCloud | Slippy's son | Lucy's daughter | Miyu | Fay | Fara Phoenix | Saru|
|Arwing | Landmaster | Blue Marine | Great Fox|