|Duration:||30 seconds (max)|
|Color:||Blue → Violet → Red|
- “If things get dicey, use a barrier!”
- —Peppy Hare
The Barrier Sphere is an item in Star Fox: Assault which creates a shield around a pilot when activated, making him or her completely invulnerable to harm for a limited time.
A Barrier is found throughout the game on the ground as blue, transparent spheres, in odd locations. It is never actually mentioned what creates the barrier shield, be it a hidden technological device or some kind of mystic force, but many people believe that barriers are based on the Reflector used by Fox McCloud and other characters in the Super Smash Bros. series.
Barriers are used in the game by Pilots only. They are especially useful when surrounded by a large swarm of enemies or in close combat with an enemy with heavy firepower. One can find barriers lying around levels in specific places, and players who die in Versus Mode will receive one upon respawning, or two if playing as Krystal. Differing from common belief, the barrier does actually protect the user from a ram of a Landmaster. However since the ramming power of the Landmaster is rather severe, the barrier might not have enough energy left to take the first blow and the player will be left vulnerable for damage.
Official Site description
- “Barrier: Defensive screen that repels all anti-personnel fire.”
- —Barrier description on the official site.
Instruction booklet references
- “This item deflects all enemy attacks for a short period of time.”
- —Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
- A secret barrier was found in Star Fox 64 when a player was fiddling with cheats. It appears to be a beta power-up that would utilize the G-Diffusers to create a invincible barrier around Fox's Arwing.
- Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
|Supplies in Star Fox series|
|Laser Upgrade | Smart Bomb | Torpedo | Fuel Barrel|
|Supply Ring | First Aid Kit | Fuel Cell | Wing gyro | 1-Up | PukPuk Eggs | Dumbledang Pods | Bafomdad | Barrier Sphere | Reflector | Stealth Suit|
|Container | Item Box | SharpClaw Crate | Basket|
|Special Flag | Star Fox Adventures items | Medal|