- "Just like old times, ey Fox?"
- —Bill Grey
In his childhood, he was good friends with Fox McCloud, who convinced him to join the Cornerian Flight Academy with him some years ago. When Fox left the Academy to avenge his father's death at the hands of Andross, Bill went on to become an ace pilot and was given command of both the Husky and Bulldog squadrons. He helped to defend Katina during the Lylat Wars and the Anglar Blitz.
If the mission is accomplished on Katina, Bill will help with opening the warp gates in Sector X, or help with fighting gores on Solar, depending on the route Fox takes. A similar role is played by Katt Monroe. If the player makes a full round of gameplay, going through Katina, Bill will reappear later after the defeat of Andross, flying above Fox and Peppy's Arwings as they leave Venom's orbit.
Bill returned nine years after the Lylat Wars to help defend the Lylat System against the Anglar Blitz, whenever the Anglar Empire posed any threats towards Katina, piloting a customised Cornerian Fighter.
Bill is a Dog Soldier like most other members in the Cornerian Millitary. He could resemble a few different breeds of dog, including a Labrador, a terrier, or a bulldog; however, most choose to label him as a bulldog. Bill is most likely an Old English Bulldog or an American Bulldog due to his longer muzzle and his slimmer body than an English or French Bulldog.
Bill's fur color changed between his two appearances in Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Command. In the former, he actually was a shade of grey, befitting his name. In the latter, he was a light brown. He wears a Green Ace Army Commander Helmet on his head because he's a Commander of his own team. Bill's eye colour went unseen until the character redesign in Star Fox Command as they were hidden behind his helmet, they are now green.
PortrayalsEditBill is voiced by Bill Johns in Star Fox 64. He speaks only Lylat Language in Star Fox Command like the other characters. Also, for unknown reasons, his voice was changed from a surfer accent to a southern accent (although he retains the surfer accent in the remake of Star Fox 64, Star Fox 64 3D.
- The name of the character is a reference to General William Grey, from the 1996 blockbuster movie Independence Day. This coincides with the portrayal of the battle of Katina, as it resembles the Furball (A large-scale aerial conflict)/Mothership Assault Scene from Independence Day.
- In Star Fox 64, if the player flies close to him on Katina he will say, "Just like old times eh, Fox?" meaning they would have flown together before - probably in the academy.
- Since many elements from Star Fox 2 were carried over to Star Fox 64, it's largely speculated that Bill was created as an equivalent or a replacement for Fay.
- He is one of the few characters in Star Fox Command that appears in none of the endings.
- Bill is the only ally who has the ability to fire twin green lasers in Star Fox 64 and the 3D remake.
- Bill is the only character to fly a differently unique model of the Cornerian Army starfighter during the battle of Katina. However during the Star Fox 64 ending cutscene upon completion of Katina, six Cornerian Fighters fly in formation leaving celebratory rainbow trails of smoke behind. This makes Bill not the only character to use a unique Cornerian Fighter.
- In Star Fox 64/3DS, if Bill is shot down by the player, he will still give his regular transmissions.