- “Just like old times, eh, Fox?”
- —Bill Grey
In his childhood, he was good friends with Fox McCloud, who convinced him to join the Cornerian Flight Academy with him some years ago. When Fox left the Academy to avenge his father's death at the hands of Andross, Bill went on to become an ace pilot and was given command of both the Husky and Bulldog squadrons. Fox knew that Bill would join Star Fox if he was asked to, but didn't want to pull Bill into his troubles.
Because the Bulldog and Husky squadrons were overrun on the Katina Frontline Base, Bill informed Corneria command of the situation, as well as the coming of a detected mother ship on it's way to the planet, therefore General Pepper asked Star Fox to help them out. Just before Star Fox arrived, Bill told the various fighters to hang in there as help was on the way. Fox was enthusiastic to see Bill after so long, even Bill too was thrilled about their reunion as well as passing compliments back, Bill reminded him that they could catch up later. Bill ordered the Huskys to cover the base, while the Bulldog unit was ordered by him to hold the Invader II's back and not let them through. Because the mission was accomplished on Katina, Bill was keen to return the favor by helping with opening the warp gates in Sector X, and help with fighting Gores on Solar.
Bill returned nine years after the Lylat Wars to help defend the Lylat System against the Anglar Blitz, whenever the Anglar Empire posed any threats towards Katina, piloting a customized Cornerian Fighter. He helped to defend Katina during the Lylat Wars and the Anglar Blitz. Bill also knew Falco and Slippy and was equally friendly with them as they came to his aid on Katina when Fox was out. Bill also told them about a certain new killer pilot in the Cornerian Air Force who had an icy heart, whom Slippy recognized but didn't want to believe to be Krystal. Bill confessed that he don't know the details between her and Fox but guessed she a was in shock from it and started dating someone else, who was on the original Star Wolf team. Bill said goodbye to Falco and Slippy and told them to tell Fox to say Hi for him.
Star Fox Zero
Bill returns as the commander of the Husky and Bulldog squadrons and fights alongside Star Fox in Sector β, where they, alongside General Pepper and his forces, combat the Granby and its retinue, led by the Area 6 Commander. Bill focuses primarily on taking out Venomian fighters while Fox destroys the cruisers and finds an opening in the Granby's energy shield. After doing so, and following the dreadnought tactical destroyer's decimation thanks to Pepper's flagship, Bill expresses his thanks. Katt then arrives to deliver a medal to Fox as gratitude for her earlier rescue from Zoness, though not long after, Pigma, Leon, and Andrew of Star Wolf arrive on the scene, with Wolf following after a few minutes into the firefight. Remaining fighters render Bill unable to assist Star Fox against their rivals, though he does help to keep their numbers under control. Following Star Wolf's defeat, it is assumed that Bill, along with the other forces under General Pepper, stayed behind to clean up any remaining Venomian stragglers.
As in Star Fox 64/3D, Bill, this time along with Katt, accompanies Star Fox back to Corneria after the defeat of Andross.
- The name of the character is a reference to General William Grey, from the 1996 blockbuster movie Independence Day. This coincides with the portrayal of the battle of Katina, as it resembles the Furball (A large-scale aerial conflict)/Mothership Assault Scene from Independence Day.
- Bill's surname "Grey" uses the British spelling instead of the American version.
- In Star Fox 64/3D, if the player flies close to him on Katina he will say, "Just like old times, eh, Fox?" meaning they would have flown together before - probably in the academy.
- Since many elements from Star Fox 2 were carried over to Star Fox 64, it's largely speculated that Bill was created as an equivalent or a replacement for Fay.
- He is the only playable character in Star Fox Command that appears in none of the endings, considering that James McCloud is somewhat referenced when Fox wears shades during his own fatherhood during the "Goodbye Fox" ending.
- Bill is the only ally who has the ability to fire twin green lasers in Star Fox 64/3D.
- Bill's Cornerian Army starfighter in Star Fox 64 3D uses the same model as the one from Star Fox Command, making his fighter stand out more.
- A distinctive fanfare tune plays when Bill appears during the battles on Solar and Sector X. The theme returned in a new styled leitmotif when controlling Bill's Cornerian Fighter in Star Fox Command.
Names in Other Languages
|Japanese||(ビル・グレイ, Biru Gurei)|
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
|Cornerian Army||General Pepper • Peppy Hare • Captain Shears • Bill Grey • Dog Soldiers • James McCloud|
|Inhabitants||Beltino Toad • Dash Bowman • Vivian Hare • Yaru de Pon • Vixy Reinard • Grippy Toad|
|Companies||Cornerian Defense Force • Bulldog Squadron • Husky Squadron • Cornerian Academy • Space Dynamics • Corneria Precious Metals Ltd. • Star Fox • Free-As-A-Bird • G-Zero Grand Prix • Star Falco|
|Vehicles||Cornerian Fighter • II • Cornerian Fleet • Cornerian Flagship • General's flagship • Monkey Arrow • Cornerian Assault Carrier • Pleiades-class Cruiser • Cornerian Transport|
|Technology||Radar Sites • Sentry Bot • Re-block • AegisCam • RE:BOT • Self-destruct program|
|Bases||Fichina Base • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Corneria City • Climate control center • Orbital Gate • Area 3|
|Star Fox Team|
|Founding / Former||James McCloud • Pigma Dengar|
|Current / Official||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Peppy Hare • Slippy Toad • Krystal • ROB 64|
|Associate / Honorary||Bill Grey • Katt Monroe • Lucy Hare • Amanda • Tricky • Free-As-A-Bird|
|Other||Marcus • Slippy's son • Peppy's granddaughter • Miyu • Fay • Fara Phoenix • Saru|
|Vehicles||Arwing • Landmaster • Blue-Marine • Great Fox • Walker • Gyrowing|
|Other Vehicles||Arwing II • Sky Claw • Bullfrog • Cloud Runner • Sky Bunny • Tadpole • Catspaw • Cat's Paw 2 • Great Fox II • Defense-Class Arwing • Interceptor-Class Arwing • Mothership|