- “It's always the same with you, Fox, shoot first, ask questions later. This mission is about saving the planet, not blowing it up! It requires a different tactic. Try using your head. Ha ha!”
- —General Pepper, Star Fox Adventures
The Blaster is a general science fiction term for projected energy weapons. In the Star Fox series, the Blaster is an advanced energy firing pistol that is kept often by Fox, Falco, and Wolf. Many different affilitions in the Lylat System have been seen in possession of their own Blasters, from the Cornerian Army, to their frequent enemies the Venomian Army. The Star Fox Team wield their own Blasters, customised by Slippy Toad.
James McCloud is seen with what is presumably a blaster in the prologue to Star Fox 64, and players can use a variant of the blaster in the game's multiplayer. Players can use the bazooka style blasters in the unlockable Pilot mode after collecting every medal in expert mode, which are controlled in a similar manner to the Landmaster. The Shogun Combat Robots are armed with Blaster pistols.
Shogun's laser gun
- “The warlord is armed with a high powered laser gun. One hit can considerably damage your Arwing, so avoid being an easy target by constantly moving.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 65
Official Site description
- “Once you earn medals in every mission playing in Expert Mode, you will be able to use Rocket Launchers in VS. Mode.”
- —Star Fox 64.com
With heavy duty assistance from the Hot Rodders gang, Fox carries his blaster when he storms the Titania Research Base in his attempt to rescue Slippy and apprehend Captain Shears.
Plight of Sauria
During the events of Star Fox Adventures, General Pepper prohibits Fox from using his blaster, mostly because of the more diplomatic nature of the mission, with Pepper stating that they are to "save the planet, not blow it up." Krystal's Staff can utilize a similar energetic projectile called the Fire Blaster. General Scales employed Blaster-armed Sentry Bots on Dragon Rock and Krazoa Palace, which proved highly dangerous to Fox and the peaceful natives of Sauria. It is assumed General Scales somehow inherited this technological knowledge from Andross .
In Star Fox: Assault, the Blaster served as the basic starter weapon for all of the characters in the game. It was much larger in Assault, comparable to a small carbine weapon rather than a pistol. The Blaster was the main weapon of every character in Assault, as it is impossible for a character to be unarmed. Similar to the Arwing's lasers, the blaster could charge. It had a semi-lock, not a full lock, which meant that the targeting reticule would slightly lock on to the foe and it would change your direction. Slippy and Peppy had special abilities which allowed them to charge their blaster's lasers at higher speeds than normal. This is to compensate for their poor running speed.
Official Site description
- “Blaster: Standard-issue weapon of Team Star Fox.”
- —Blaster description on the official site.
Instruction Booklet description
- “Blaster: The weapon you start out with. It can shoot charge shots and has unlimited ammo.”
- —Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
Super Smash Bros. Series
Throughout the entire series, Fox has used his blaster as his standard special move. In the first game, Fox fired it at a slow rate and it made those hit by it flinch, stopping them in their tracks. In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, Fox could shoot it more rapidly and the shots did not make the opponent flinch at all.
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Falco appeared as an unlockable character. His blaster was similar to Fox's blaster from Super Smash Bros, only it fired at a much slower rate of fire, hits for more damage than Fox's blaster, and causes the enemy to flinch. It is also of note than when using his blaster, Falco crosses his arms and holds the blaster parallel to the ground, rather than wielding it in a more orthodox manner. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Falco's blaster fire is blue instead of red.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wolf uses a customized blaster. It has a small bayonet at the end of the bottom of the gun, which he uses when pulling out the blaster prior to a shot. His shots move slow, are incapable of being fired in rapid sequence like Fox or Falco can, and doesn't travel as far as Fox or Falco's, but they are much more powerful. His blaster fire has a green color, and the shots are shaped more like bursts rather than beams.
- While not used at all in Star Fox 64 3D, promotional artwork of Fox depicts him using a blaster. In addition, James is no longer in possession of one in the game's backstory image.
- Evident in the original Star Fox game's Boss roll call, the large laser cannons found on most starships can also be refered to as Blasters.
- Star Fox: Assault; Instruction Booklet
|Guns||Blaster • Demon Launcher • Demon Sniper Rifle • Gatling Gun • Homing Launcher • Machine Gun • Missile Launcher • Plasma Cannon • Sniper Rifle|
|Explosives||Cluster Bomb • Fireburst Pod • Grenade • Sensor Bomb • Smart Bomb • Torpedo • Self-destruct program|
|Lasers||Arc/Curve • Hyper • Plasma • Single • Twin • Zapper|
|Reticle Locks||Charge • Multi Lock • Single Lock • Wide Lock|
|Other||Krystal's Staff • Booster Pack|