Copperheads, or Man Drill (マン・ドリル, Man Doriru) in Japan, are heavy anti-capital ship missiles, manufactured in the weapons labs on Macbeth and employed by Andross's army, during the Lylat Wars.
Origin and Design
Originating from the industrial planet of Macbeth in the weapons labs, Copperheads were heavily ray-shielded and warp-capable weapons that could heavily damage large warships. The Copperhead was designed to penetrate the outer skin of a ship, usign its rotating warhead to burrow in and then explode. Andross had dispatched these key specialised war machines of great power to bombard strategic locations throughout the Lylat system and were always accompanied by fleets of support craft.
The Copperheads were manufactured on Macbeth where they were being used by the forces of Andross to be launched at Corneria from the large supply depot and launching point.
- “Macbeth is the industrial key to Andross's military machine. If you liberate this planet, Fox, you will cripple his ability to produce weaponry. This is also the main launching point for the interplanetary cruise missiles Andross has been using to assault Corneria. Resistance fighters on Macbeth have information on a train that transports minerals and weapons from the mines and factories to Andross's main base and launching area. Although its route is well defended, derailing the train and stopping its shipment will be a crippling blow to Andross's plans.”
- —General Pepper's Flight Log, pg 76
Six Copperheads were used during the Battle of Sector Z in an attempt to destroy Great Fox. Despite the missiles being escorted by the new Invader III Fighters, the Star Fox Team succeeded in destroying all six Copperheads used in the attack and save Great Fox from sustaining heavy damage. Tracking the Star Fox Team as they entered from Zoness, Katt Monroe arrived out of warp drive in time to help take out the third wave of missiles.
- Sometimes a Copperhead flies through the background of the Sector Z stage in Super Smash Bros.
- The name "Copperhead" refers to a type of venomous snake. Its Japanese name, Man Drill, is a pun on a simian species known as a "Mandrill," of which baboons are part of the species.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.