- “The invasion of Katina is a textbook example of a Venom assault. The first enemy objective is to establish air superiority. Since Andross's Invader IIs are inferior to Cornerian fighters, the enemy will overwhelm the defenders with huge numbers. As Saucerer flies over primary targets, air defence units are lured into meeting the first wave of Invader IIs. A larger wave of enemy fighters then swarms out of Saucerer and eliminates the preoccupied defenders. With the skies clear, Saucerer deploys its Core Weapon and commences with the second objective: the complete annihilation of hapless ground units. At the end of the battle, shock troops are dropped to enslave any survivors.”
- —Lylat Datalink; Anatomy of an invasion, pg 68
The Cornerian Fighter was the backbone fighter aircraft in the Cornerian Army during the Lylat Wars, often deployed by carrier or surface base. They are often seen on most Cornerian bases and fleets, such as Katina for example. It was multi-purpose fighter designed for many different types of missions like steath or assault, and is customizable based on the users strengths/weaknesses.
During the Lylat Wars, weak versions of these fighters were produced en-mass at an astonishing rate to combat the massive numbers of the Venomian Army. It was the easiest to pilot for untrained cadets, and thus the most used fighter at the time. With its modest shielding, armor, and performance, it could can stand toe-toe against nearly all threats before the invasion by Andross. The Invader II Assault Fighters suffered from numerous design flaws and were vastly inferior to Cornerian Fighters. To overcome their shortcomings, Andross had ordered all Invader IIs to be painted with Cornerians markings to confuse the Star Fox Team's target priorities, nearly managing to fool all but the advanced Targeting Computer. The beleaguered Cornerian Defense Force was nearly exhausted from holding back wave after wave of enemy fighters.
In the games
Star Fox 64/3D
- “Fox! Thats one of ours!”
- —Bill Grey
In Star Fox 64 and its remake, depending on which path you take, you can go to Katina and help Cornerian Fighters fight off the Venomian Army. Although you won't get points for them, shooting down ships from the Bulldog and Husky squadrons won't affect your chances of getting a medal. Should the player complete a full round of gameplay, having flown through Katina of course, Bill Grey will reappear during the credits, flying above Fox and Peppy's Arwings as the Star Fox team leave Venom. Peppy Hare is the only pilot (with the exception of the player) who will mistakenly shoot down a Cornerian Fighter during the battle of Katina. He will realise his mistake by saying Enemy down... Wait! That was one of ours!. If the player manages to clear the battle of Katina without shooting down any Cornerian Fighters, the dialogue between Bill and Fox will change to a more positive conversation. Following Star Fox's triumphant return to Corneria, Several Cornerian Fighters fly ahead of the Great Fox, leaving behind rainbow smoke trails in celebration of the war's ending.
- “Corneria Fighters are not enemy aircraft, but many rookies mistake the aircrafts' markings for Venom's Invader Assault Fighters. Your Arwing combat computer can identify Corneria Fighters and will not lock on them.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 67
Katina's Top Guns
- “Katina's Frontline Base is home to some of the best fighter jocks in the Lylat System, including the decorated pilots of the prestigious Bulldog and Husky units. Since veteran pilots are in short supply, these aces are a prized asset to the Cornerian Fleet. General Pepper will be very disappointed if you accidentally shoot one down.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 67
Star Fox: Assault
The new improved Cornerian Fighters appear throughout the Battles of Fortuna, Corneria and the Beltino Orbital Gate. Their appearnace greatly resembles that of the Star Fox Team's Arwings and will not be so easily damaged by their firepower this time, presumably due to past errors. Several surviving Cornerian Fighters attended the Star Fox Team and Cornerian Army's invasion of the Aparoid Homeworld, but the millitary was forced to retreat at 20% in casualties. The invasion force returned to the Lylat system as soon as missing ships and personnel were searched out and recovered. These fighters have only a single laser cannon and are rather slow (except in scenes where they are seen boosting to an impressive speed), but make up for it with sheer durability, almost nothing can destroy one (short of crashing into obstacles, which will destroy them instantly in a purple explosion).
Star Fox Command
The generic Cornerian fighter got a slightly different look 11 years later in Star Fox Command with its wings tilted upward instead of down. Bill Grey mainly pilots the fighter in the game, but depending on certain paths you take, Krystal may also fly one. However her fighter is colored different being a shade of purple and green.
|Cornerian Fighter stats|
|Smart Bombs:||● ●|
|Shields:||● ● ● ● ● ●|
|Boost:||● ● ●|
|Time Bonus:||● ● ●|
Names in Other Languages
- A ship resembling the green coloured Cornerian Fighter from Star Fox 64 appears in the F-Zero GP Legend anime's 33rd Episode (within James McCloud's past memory).
- Bill Grey's Cornerian Fighter in the 3DS release of Star Fox 64 resembles the one used by him in Star Fox Command. This was presumably chosen to tell him apart even more.
- The Cornerian Fighters piloted by Krystal and Bill Grey in Star Fox Command also bear a slight resemblance to the Guardian Mantis piloted by Vana Sage in Star Wars: Starfighter, except the Cornerian Fighters have pointed noses while the Guardian Mantis has no nose at all.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox: Assault/Damage reports
|Cornerian Army||General Pepper • Peppy Hare • Captain Shears • Bill Grey • Dog Soldiers • James McCloud|
|Inhabitants||Beltino Toad • Dash Bowman • Vivian Hare • Yaru de Pon • Vixy Reinard • Grippy Toad|
|Companies||Cornerian Defense Force • Bulldog Squadron • Husky Squadron • Cornerian Academy • Space Dynamics • Corneria Precious Metals Ltd. • Star Fox • Free-As-A-Bird • G-Zero Grand Prix • Star Falco|
|Vehicles||Cornerian Fighter • II • Cornerian Fleet • Cornerian Flagship • General's flagship • Monkey Arrow • Cornerian Assault Carrier • Pleiades-class Cruiser • Cornerian Transport|
|Technology||Radar Sites • Sentry Bot • Re-block • AegisCam • RE:BOT • Self-destruct program|
|Bases||Fichina Base • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Corneria City • Climate control center • Orbital Gate • Area 3|