Desert Crawlers are heavy assault walkers seen on Titania in Star Fox 64/3D.
The Desert Crawler is a heavy arachnid like walker with a red centre "eye", able to jump long distances as they come flying up from behind than land near Fox's Landmaster. When you destroy them they each give HIT+3.
- “Titania is plagued by lumbering Desert Crawlers. They look formidable, but since they're massive, slow and unable to fire, they're easy targets. As long you avoid coming into contact with them, you'll be able to destroy them by exploring their weak spots: their underbellies.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 51
- “To earn four hit points, fire away at the Crawler's underside. Attack it by driving between its legs and firing up at its stomach- as long as you don't come into contact with any part of its body, you'll be safe. It takes a while before it shows signs of defeat, but once you see HIT+3 appear, you can cease fire and watch the robot harmlessly collapse.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 52
- It is unknown if they are an automated defense system native to Titania, or if they were deployed by Andross's forces to the surface as both seem plausible. They do add up towards the Star Fox team's service receipt, making the latter a more positive likelyhood.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.