- "We need your help, Star Fox! Andross has declared war! He's invaded the Lylat System and is trying to take over Corneria! Our army alone can't do the job! Hurry Star Fox!"
- —General Pepper
General Pepper (ペパー将軍, Pepā Shōgun) is the general of the Cornerian army and thus commander of all of Corneria's forces in the Lylat System. He has offered Fox McCloud an official commission in the end of Star Fox 64, but Fox refused it, stating that they "prefer to do things their way." General Pepper grew progressively ill in recent games, and has been surpassed by Peppy Hare, who assumes the role of general after the events of Star Fox: Assault.
BiographyEditPepper served in the Cornerian army with James and Peppy, before the later two moved on to become founders of the Star Fox team, while Pepper became general by the time of the Lylat Wars. He had banished Andross to Venom for conducting dangerous experiments while working as a scientist for the army. Five years later, he discovered strange activity coming from Venom. He hired the Star Fox team for the first, then comprising of founder James McCloud, Peppy Hare, and Pigma Dengar. He sent the Star Fox team to investigate the situation on Venom. He temporarily resigned in Star Fox Command from being ill, thus making his good long time friend, Peppy Hare, the new and temporary general of the Cornerian Army.
General Pepper partook a major role in the war between Corneria and Venom. His forces were overwhelmed by the Venomian Army, so he assigned the Star Fox Team to do the job. Before every mission, the team would need to report to him and he would brief them about the area and it's dangers, give information on the current situation, or just review his progress. When Andross is defeated, Pepper offers to make the Star Fox Team part of the Cornerian Army, but Fox refuses. General Pepper also paid the bill for Star Fox's total kills of enemies; if less than 70,000 credits are due, Pepper will say, "This is one steep bill... but it's worth it," and if 70,000 credits or more are due, he will let out an astounded, "What?!"
During the Saurian Crisis, General Pepper, presumably having been informed by the Star Fox team of what was happening on Sauria, explained to the team about the ongoing crisis on the planet, and also told them that the fee for the mission was also approved, and that the payment would be forwarded to the team upon completion. Pepper thought it was better for Fox to explore the Dinosaur Planet without using as much technology that he usually does, including his blaster. General Pepper could help Fox examine his collectable items, Tricky's sidekick commands and Staff Upgrades via the menu. Selecting him will give off a salute siren.
General Pepper also played a major role in Star Fox: Assault during the invasion of the Aparoids. This time he was more prepared and was able to stand his ground against Andross's remaining fleet (led by Andrew Oikonny). The Star Fox Team arrived as soon as Andrew was starting to have the upper hand.
Later in the story, immediately after the Star Fox team returned from combating the Aparoids on Sauria, General Pepper conveyed to them grim news of an Aparoid assault on the Cornerian capital city which left much of the Cornerian defense force in ruins. Partway into his briefing, however, Pepper was interrupted and his transmission suddenly cut short. Fearing the worst, Fox set out to cleanse the city of the invading forces, only to discover that General Pepper himself had been infected by the Aparoids. Though his body and his personal flagship, which transformed into a flying battle mech, were no longer under his control, Pepper retained his self-awareness and urged Fox to shoot him down so that he may keep his honor. Fox, riding on the wing of a Wolfen piloted by Wolf O'Donnell, reluctantly engaged Pepper's ship using the Plasma Cannon and was able to bring it down after a fierce battle; as Pepper plummeted towards the ground, Peppy suddenly appeared out of the sky in an Arwing and wedged himself under the rogue ship, breaking its fall and saving the general's life.
General Pepper himself is not heard of for the rest of the game, but is impersonated by the Aparoid Queen to distract the Star Fox team during their assault on the Aparoid Homeworld. After the Queen is destroyed and the events of the invasion are over, Pepper is rumored to have suffered an illness, possibly because of the Aparoids.
Pepper did not make a physical appearance in Star Fox Command, but he is mentioned. He has also given his rank as Commander in Chief of the Cornerian Army to his army comrade Peppy, as he has suffered illness. By Fox's account, Pepper was so ill, he had to be confined to his sickbed. It is unknown if he recovers from this illness or not. Pepper is briefly seen during the events of the default ending when Krystal recalls the events of Andross's exile. The two characters appear on an icon depicting the conflict between them which led to the Lylat Wars.
In Super Smash Bros.Edit
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pepper appears both as a trophy and a sticker. He raises arm and leg attack power by 5.
Commander in chief of the Cornerian Defense Forces. General Pepper also served as superior officer to Fox's father when they were in the army together. With his great command record and warm personality, Pepper is well liked and respected by his men. Over the years, he has built a close, trusting relationship with Fox and company.
In the Japanese version of Star Fox 64, he was voiced by the late Daisuke Gōri, and, in Star Fox: Assault, by Michihiro Ikemizu. In the English version of Star Fox 64, he was voiced by David White, and, in Star Fox Assault, by Gray Eubank. In the SNES Star Fox game, both he and Fox were voiced by Dan Owsen.
- When the Star Fox team loses contact with General Pepper prior to the Corneria Campaign during the Aparoid Invasion, shortly after General Pepper says "Please, Fox, I'm already...", his last visible action is him looking around. Given his comment before, as well as his next appearance, this may imply that General Pepper became an Aparoid at that moment.
- His name is a reference to the album and song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by The Beatles.
- It is unknown how General Pepper and his flagship in Star Fox Assault got infected by the Aparoids. The most likely explanation is that Pepper was ambushed during his transmission to Star Fox about Corneria's condition and possibly injured by the creatures.
- In concept artwork for General Pepper's appearance in Star Fox: Assault, one of the artwork stills has him wearing sunglasses, a reference to his original appearance in Star Fox for the Super NES.
- General Pepper's plea to Team Star Fox in Star Fox 64 is the longest quote in the game, (apart from the Lylat history narration, yet there is no character to represent the narrator).
- In Star Fox 64, the images of General Pepper can be seen at some buildings in Corneria, and Corneria Stage From Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl.
- In the officially unreleased Star Fox 2, a General Pepper-like character appeared, but he was unnamed. This character reappeared as Captain Shears in the manga Farewell, Beloved Falco is another hound officer of the Cornerian army.