- "Dang! DEPLOY IT NOW!!!"
- —Area 6 Commander
Gorgon is a massive disk-shaped machine with three long metal tentacles and a small, vulnerable core in the center. The hard outer shell is capable of opening up in three sections like flower petals, revealing three "energy balls" and what appear to be metal teeth along the inside of each petal.
Gorgon has a vast array of weapons and defenses. Its thick armor is impenetrable to all attacks, its three tentacles can stretch out several hundred meters to swipe at nearby ships, a payload of fighters at its disposal, and a multitude of heat-seeking missiles can fire out from behind it. It's most powerful weapon however is its giant hyper laser, which fires out from its center in a brilliant rainbow-colored beam capable of destroying the crust of the planet with a single shot. Gorgon is also equipped with a Dimension Transport System that enables it to phase in and out of reality, which was also something that scientists, up to that point, thought was impossble.
Once its arms are destroyed, it is forced to open its body and repair them. It will then release three bonded energy balls to help. Shooting the energy orbs until they are depleted will cause the shield protecting its core to weaken it, and upon the third time, disappear. Once this has happened, shoot the core until the second shield is gone and its core is revealed. Shoot the core until the machine is destroyed.
- The Gorgon is named after the gorgons, vicious female monsters from Greek mythology that resembled ugly women with snakes for hair. It is said that one who looked upon a gorgon would be instantly turned to stone. Medusa is probably the most recognizable and well-know of the three gorgon sisters. The Gorgon machine could be named so because of the resemblance of its tentacle-arms to Medusa's famous snake-hair.
- When Pigma is infected with the Aparoids and Fused with machinery, he strongly resembles Gorgon, having similar attacks and defenses.
- The ability to phase in and out of reality is also shared by the Phantron in the original Star Fox, which shares a similar purpose in that it provides the last line of defense before Venom.
- It is potentially being piloted by either Caiman or the Area 6 commander. It's also possible that it was actually automated and/or not piloted by either character, due to the fact that the Area 6 commander says "Dang! DEPLOY IT NOW!!" shortly before the Gorgon battle. It should also be noted that neither character says anything during or after the battle as well.
- Its appearance combined with its massive laser (which can destroy the entire crusts of planets) make it resemble the Death Star from Star Wars.