|This page is currently undergoing maintenance. Therefore, please excuse its incomplete and informal current state.|
- “I received a garbled distress signal. It said something about a mountain hidden in a storm. Whoever they are, they sound in great danger!”
- —Krystal, Star Fox Adventures (first line)
Krystal (クリスタル, Kurisutaru) is a vixen and the most recently-recruited member of the Star Fox team. She serves as Fox McCloud's main love interest (although Panther Caroso seems to be infatuated with her) and made her first appearance in the series in Star Fox Adventures. Krystal joined Star Fox almost immediately after the Saurian Crisis, taking Peppy Hare's place of fourth pilot. In addition to her fighter role, Krystal is the team's telepath; these abilities are first seen in Adventures and put to good use during the Aparoid Invasion. Using her abilities, she can read thought patterns and sense distress signals, which is vital for the team as they help out other planets.
Plight of Sauria
Cerinia was reported to be completely destroyed in an unknown disaster in which both of Krystal's parents died. Krystal, seeking answers concerning her home planet's destruction, journeyed to the Lylat System, where she came to Dinosaur Planet (later known as "Sauria") after receiving a distress call during her search.
Upon arriving at Dinosaur Planet, the source of the signal, Krystal immediately learned of the troubles of the planet's natives, and their peril at the hands of General Scales and his SharpClaw army. General Scales had attacked the Krazoa Palace and caused the six Krazoa Spirits to flee from their sanctuary. The Krazoa spirits scattered all over the planet, and began to die. At the same time, the planet itself began to break apart, poised to explode.
In an effort to turn the tide of war and undo the damage Scales wrought, the young vixen agreed to help the dinosaurs return the six Krazoa Spirits to the Krazoa Palace and save Dinosaur Planet from destruction. However, Krystal only fared as far as retrieving the first Krazoa spirit from the bowels of the temple. Upon releasing the spirit into the temple's interior, she was attacked by the disembodied spirit of Andross, who imprisoned her in a crystalline cell at the top of the palace. Krystal would remain there until all of the Krazoa Spirits were reunited. Seconds before being imprisoned, she ended up recognizing her attacker.
Krystal's life-force began to be drained by the crystal, until Fox McCloud of the Star Fox Team arrived to save the planet. Fox first contacted Krystal via her Staff, which he retrieved from the ground after Krystal lost it while in mid-air combat with Scales' galleon after her arrival. Krystal had left telepathic instructions on how to use it, and Fox soon learned how to use it to aid in his mission. Fox was directly contacted by Krystal when he heard the echoes of her telepathic cries for help in Saurian language, with the Krazoa Spirit Krystal released imploring Fox to save her.
After the Krazoa Spirits were returned to the palace, Krystal was freed from her incarceration, only to quickly brush Fox aside to take the staff from him. It was at this time Andross revealed himself, having used the energies of the Krazoa, Krystal herself and Cerinia (which he possibly destroyed) to revive himself. Krystal attempted to shoot Andross down with her staff (which she forcefully and coldly took back from Fox) as he departed to conquer the Lylat System (presumably in an attempt to avenge Cerenia), but it proved ineffective, and Fox journeyed into space in his Arwing to defeat his arch-nemesis once again.
In the aftermath that followed, Krystal regretted her cold demeanor towards Fox, and sought to apologize to him for her actions and thank him for all of his help. Krystal initially sent a message for this, but docked with the Great Fox and thanked Fox and his assembled team in person. Fox, however, was too shy around her to respond. ROB 64 unintentionally revealed Fox was infatuated with Krystal, who appeared to reciprocate. Afterward, Fox and Krystal would begin building a relationship.
Krystal fought bravely in the Invasion and played an important role.
During their trek to Fortuna after Oikonny retreated from the space battle to the planet, she managed to warn the rest of the team that Oikonny's forces are preparing an ambush when they arrived at his base. After team Star Fox skirmished with a strange creature on Fortuna during a rebellion started by Oikonny (an encounter that almost resulted in her death due to the creature firing a blast at her ship and hitting it), they discovered that the creature was an Aparoid, whose species was to invade the Lylat system, and that the Aparoids had recently attacked Katina.
The team were dispatched there, while Krystal tried to assist Fox, but was rejected and ordered with the rest of the team to fly in Arwings covering him. Krystal ran into trouble over the planet, but was rescued by Fox. An Aparoid Walker attacked McCloud, and it was Krystal who pointed out its weakness. Krystal accompanied Fox to Sargasso, where the Walker's core memory was taken by Pigma Dengar. She and Falco were tasked with destroying enemy fighter-craft.
Sargasso Space Zone and Fichina
When Star Wolf arrived at their location, Fox rescued Krystal from several fighters. After Fox shoots down the rival team, Panther is overwhelmed by Krystal's beauty, causing him to reveal that Pigma had fled to Fichina.
On Fichina's frozen surface, Fox destroyed generators hindering the planet's climate control core while Krystal and Slippy backed Fox up. Afterwards, Pigma made an appearance, and turned the main Power Generator into an Aparoid. Fox destroyed it and saved Fichina.
Meteo Asteroid Belt
At the Meteo Asteroid Belt, Star Wolf seemed to have been destroyed, but Krystal's senses told her that they had abandoned ship. A horde of Aparoids attacked, and Krystal was tracked by enemy fighters. Fox destroyed them, and Krystal rewarded him. After getting out of the base that they had infiltrated, Krystal noticed Pigma Dengar's ship drifting in space. Pigma and his base merged and became an Aparoid. The Core Memory was confiscated by the team, and Pigma was destroyed.
After sending the Core Memory to General Pepper, Krystal interrupted his briefing to the team by highlighting a distress signal coming from Sauria. Krystal and Fox were sent in to fight on foot, while Falco and Slippy took to the skies. Krystal was formidable during the fight, and cleared an entire temple of Aparoids.
Celebrations were brief, as the team received a distress call from Corneria, which had been overrun by the Aparoids. The entire Star Fox and Star Wolf teams fought Aparoids at the Orbital Gate to defend it so it could send them to Aparoid City while Beltino Toad finished work on a self-destruct program that will destroy the enemy. Krystal and Slippy were attacked, but managed to avail themselves. After defending the gate from Aparoid missiles, Star Fox journeyed to the Aparoid City.
At the surface of the Homeworld, Krystal and Fox, backed up by air cover, destroyed the Aparoid's reproductive units, and eventually deactivated the shield protecting the city. It's reactivated before Star Fox could enter, forcing Peppy and ROB to crash the Great Fox into the shield, leaving Krystal and the team with the assumption that Peppy and ROB were killed. The Aparoid Queen attacked its assailants, but Fox, Falco, Krystal, and Slippy defeated her, causing the Toad selfdestruct program to work, destroying the queen and all Aparoids present. Fox and the team were able to make it out of the homeworld before it exploded. Seconds after Krystal mentioned Peppy and Star Wolf's sacrifices, Peppy and R.O.B. made contact, having survived the crash into the shield.
In the events following the Aparoid Invasion, Fox had a growing concern for Krystal's safety and had her discharged from the team, which caused Krystal to adopt a bitter temperament. Heartbroken and ashamed, she left and was not heard from again for some time.
How Krystal winds up after Command remains a mystery. In most of the game's endings, she reunites with Fox and once again rejoins the Star Fox team. However in some endings, she instead chooses to remain with Panther and the rest of Star Wolf or, in the default ending's case, she initially joins the Star Fox team, but then ends up leaving and joining Star Wolf later. In one of the game's endings she is unable to live up to the choices she made in the past, and takes on a new life as a bounty hunter named Kursed. Alternatively, in another ending, she and Fox both leave the team to live a new life together.
Anglar Emperor Path
While she is a part of the Star Wolf team, it appears that she has begun a relationship with Panther. Fox learns this from Falco, who tells him that Krystal was with Star Wolf. Fox decides to track her down. He finds her at Sector Z, which is overrun with Anglars, but they defeat them all, with the help of Krystal. Fox apologizes, to which Krystal merely complies. She tells Fox that she and Star Wolf have defeated the base at Venom, but Anglar and the remains of his army escaped to the Asteroid Belt. She helps in the battle at the Asteroid Belt against Emperor Anglar. They kill him, along with his remianing forces, and are once again saviors of Lylat. Star Wolf sends a message, with Panther mentioning Krystal, how he is upset. Krystal realizes this, and months later, she leaves Fox, and rejoins Star Wolf, to Fox's horror and Panther's joy.
Fox and Krystal Path
After Krystal disappeared, Fox and the team haven't heard from her. Thats when Fox decides to track her down. He finds her on Katina, and urges her to join, but Krystal rudely insults him, revealing that she is part of Star Wolf. Nonetheless, Fox helps defeat the Anglars on the Planet. After the battle, Fox doesn't give up, and tries to get her back, but Krystal is still acting nasty to him. She does consider this though, and says for him to apologize, then she'll think about it. Fox does, and despite Panthers protests, she joins. They meet up with the rest of the team, and to their surprise Krystal has changed. She tells Fox how to get to Venom. Andross had created a device to neutralize the Venom sea, and hid it on Titania. They go there and defeat the bioweapon guarding it, and head to Venom. On the way, Slippy is somehow able to get through to Krystal that Fox and her are meant to be together. At Venom, they kill the Anglar Emperor, and emerge victorious. Fox convinces Krystal to join, and that they are meant for each other. Team Star Fox is together again, with the new addition of Amanda, Slippy's fiancee.
Good-bye, Fox path
After team Star Fox defeated the Anglars, they go their separate ways. Fox finds Krystal on Sauria and she forgives him, got married, and have a son named Marcus, who will be the future leader of Star Fox someday.
Star Wolf Returns path
After Fox finds Krystal on Katina, he tries to make her return, but to no avail. They rendezvous with Wolf, who found the device that neutralizes the Venomian sea. They head there, and defeat the Anglars. Star Wolf are recognized as heroes now, but people are calling Krystal a traitor. Krystal ultimately leaves Star Wolf, goes far away and becomes a bounty Hunter. On Kew, she and Fox cross path, but he hardly recognizes her now.
Lucy and Krystal Path
Lucy Hare is on Corneria, trying to liberate the Planet from Anglars. There, she meets Krystal, Amanda, and Katt, who agree to help. They defeat the garrison, and the Splitter. They then get the news that Star Fox has defeated Emperor Anglar. Krystal is ready to forgive Fox, and when he and the team comes, she rejoins Star Fox, and forgives Fox.
In the games
Star Fox AdventuresKrystal's debut in the Star Fox series is marked here in Adventures. She is the alternate protagonist of the game; the player plays both as her and Fox McCloud, and the two eventually meet at the end of the game. She possesses the ability to speak with the dinosaurs and can also speak English, although her main language is Dino. Krystal's playablity serves as an introduction to the game, teaching the nature of basic controls, the items and C-stick inventory and collecting the Krazoa Spirits. Because she is not a member of Star Fox yet, Krystal's pause menu only has access to the Gamecube memory card and quit options.
Instruction Booklet description
- “The only survivor of her doomed home planet of Cerinia, Krystal roams the galaxy in search of answers. When a distress call takes her to a small planet in the Lylat system, Krystal suspects that she may finally be drawing closer to the truth...”
- —Star Fox Adventures Instruction Booklet
Star Fox: AssaultKrystal appears in Star Fox: Assault. Her relationship with Fox is strengthening, and she is now a full, but still new, member of the Star Fox team. Krystal serves as the telepath of the team. She is able to sense distress signals from different planets and can read the thought patterns of certain Aparoid units. In Assault, Krystal meets Panther, who makes numerous passes at her during both the dogfight and while the Star Wolf team is helping Star Fox in the Aparoid Tunnel.
Instruction Booklet description
- “The newest member of the team. Krystal's a mysterious young woman with extrasensory perception; she uses her talent to foresee danger and aid her teammates.”
- —Star Fox: Assault Instruction Booklet
Krystal is available as a playable character in Assault's versus mode. Her stats are much lower than the others, and she has one special ability, which is two Barrier Spheres instead of one when revived. While using Krystal, one may consider giving her handicap.
|Special||Receives two barriers after defeat|
Star Fox CommandKrystal plays a major role in Star Fox Command. Her relationship with Fox has elevated, but it eventually becomes very rocky. In certain endings, the two are either together or apart. In Command, Krystal pilots her own space fighter, the Cloud Runner, named after the CloudRunner dinosaur tribe.
Instruction Booklet description
- “A former member of team Star Fox. She's strong and kind, but can be overly stubborn as well.”
- —Star Fox: Assault Instruction Booklet
Ending 1 - Fox and Krystal
After defeating the Anglar Emperor, Falco and Slippy begin to celebrate. Fox, on the other hand, tries to convince Krystal to rejoin the team. Krystal refuses at first, but after some input from Falco and Slippy, and a promise from Fox that they would always be together, Krystal eventually agrees and reunites with Fox.
Ending 2 - Good-bye, Fox
After the defeat of the Anglar Emperor on Venom Fox decides that he will leave Star Fox so that he can be with Krystal, and the team agrees, with some reluctance on Falco's behalf, to disband. Fox promises that he will spend the rest of his life as a quiet one living with Krystal. The two have a son, named Marcus, who in the future leads a new Star Fox team.
Ending 3 - The Anglar Emperor
After Star Fox defeats the Anglars at the Asteroid Belt, they receive a transmission from Star Wolf, showing both Wolf's frustration at having his work go unnoticed and Panther's 'acceptance' that Krystal has decided to rejoin Star Fox.
Several months later, Krystal decided that she can't handle the situation anymore, so she goes back to Panther and to Star Wolf. Despite Fox's begging, Krystal leaves regardless, where she starts a new life, and Fox is left to wander alone and unloved.
Ending 4 - Star Wolf ReturnsAfter Star Wolf's victory over the Anglars on Venom, Wolf still feels unsatisfied. Krystal explains that it was because they had to cheat Star Fox to do so. Leon, on the other hand, is overjoyed that they can get the bounty lifted, and expects a celebration in their honor. Indeed, Star Wolf is praised for their efforts, but the people of Lylat are less kind to Krystal, believing that it was wrong of her to abandon Star Fox.
Eventually, the comments of the populace become unbearable, as they start to hiss as she walks by, or would even declare her a traitor. She pulls away from Star Wolf to find a new life, fleeing to a distant galaxy and going by the name to Kursed (according to the English version). She becomes a bounty hunter, chasing the worst in the galaxy. Some unspecified time later, she runs into Fox on the planet Kew, but has changed so much that Fox doesn't appear to recognize her.
Ending 5 - Lucy and Krystal
Super Smash Bros. Series
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Trophy description
|Krystal||A member of the Star Fox team welcomed in Star Fox Adventures after the team met her on planet Sauria when responding to a distress signal. Krystal is capable of telepathy and is a valuable member in combat. After becoming romantically involved with Fox, their relationship gets very rocky in Star Fox Command.|
Physical appearance and Wardrobe
- Krystal is a blue vixen, yet before her debut game Dinosaur Planet was reworked into Star Fox Adventures she resembled a feline more than a vixen. Her white dress gave her a much younger look in the former game.
- In Adventures, Krystal wore skimpy golden attire mainly consisting of a golden bra-like top and nothing but a small white loincloth. She also wore jewelry, including two bands on her tail, silver braces on her shoulders, arms, and legs, and white and golden sandals. She also sported a tiara on her head, and a necklace with a turquoise pendant.
- In Assault, she wears a blue body suit, continues to wear tail bands, and sections of her "hair" are braided. She no longer wears a necklace, and her tiara is also different.
- Her appearance is very similar in Command; however, the suit is pink and purple, and her tail bands are gone.
Relationships with other characters
- Krystal and Fox McCloud have a romantic bond, as seen at the end of Adventures and throughout Assault; it is especially evident in the "honeymoon" scene where they visit Prince Tricky at Sauria after ridding the planet of an infestation of Aparoids. In one of the endings of Command, Fox and Krystal have a son named Marcus McCloud, who has blue fur like his mother Krystal and becomes a pilot like his father Fox McCloud.
- Her relationships with other characters in the Star Fox team aren't visible yet, as she is still relatively new, but as seen in the negative endings in Command, she has no problem departing from the team. Also as shown in Assault, when Fox saves Slippy on the first level, Krystal seems to have taken Peppy's place in lecturing Slippy by trying to stop him from messing around, although it may simply be annoyance.
- Krystal attracts Panther Caroso, a member of the Star Wolf team. Panther first sees Krystal while at the Sargasso Space Zone and attempts flirting by targeting her during the dogfight, which ensues directly after his team arrives. While Krystal continues to show reluctance to fall for Panther's comments, their relationship is magnified in Command when she joins the Star Wolf team in one of the negative endings. While it is not known whether or not the two actually formed a relationship, it is evident that Panther influenced her to join with a haunting quote.
- Krystal is in good terms with the dinosaurs of Sauria and cares very much for them, as seen in Adventures and Assault.
- Krystal is good friends with Lucy Hare and Peppy views Krystal as a "second daughter" as heard at the liberation of Fichina City. She has good relations with Katt and Amanda as seen when the four ladies freed Corneria from Anglarian forces reminants in the absence of Star Fox.
- In the English version of the series, Krystal speaks Estuary English and is voiced by Estelle Ellis in Adventures, and Alésia Glidewell in Star Fox: Assault and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Coincidentally, Glidewell also voiced Samus Aran in the latter game.
- In the Japanese version of the two later games, she is voiced by Aya Hara.
- Originally, when the game Star Fox Adventures was still being developed as Dinosaur Planet, Krystal had a much larger role in the game, and was revealed to be the adopted sister of the main protagonist, Sabre. This all changed, however, when it was decided to make it a Star Fox title.
- The band for the necklace on Krystal's forehead seems to change in-between games. As in Adventures, it seems to be made of beads, and in Assault, it looks like a metal ring.
- In most Star Fox Adventures artwork, Krystal is seen with Fox. This relates to an alternative outcome of the game as evident in unused voice acting.
- Krystal is the only member of the Star Fox Team that does not have a known last name.
- Despite playing an important role in Star Fox Adventures, Krystal is only playable once at the very beginning of the game, although she can be played as through Action Replay or GameShark as a model swap for Fox.
- When Nintendo surveyed fans to see what new characters they hoped were in Brawl, Krystal was the top female character most hoped for. In spite of this, she didn't make a playable appearance.
- Star Fox Adventures
- Star Fox Adventures (Instruction Booklet)
- Star Fox: Assault
- Star Fox: Assault (Instruction Booklet)
- Star Fox Command
- Star Fox Command (Instruction Booklet)
- List of endings in Star Fox Command
|Fox McCloud | Falco Lombardi | Slippy Toad | Krystal | ROB 64|
|James McCloud | Pigma Dengar | Peppy Hare|
|Bill Grey | Katt Monroe | Lucy Hare | Amanda | Tricky|
|Marcus | Slippy's son | Peppy's granddaughter | Miyu | Fay | Fara Phoenix | Saru|
|Arwing | Landmaster | Blue-Marine | Great Fox|
|Other / Non-Canon Vehicles|
|Arwing II | Sky Claw | Bullfrog | Cloud Runner | Sky Bunny | Tadpole | Catspaw | Cat's Paw 2 | Walker | Great Fox (Star Fox Command)|
|Wolf O'Donnell | Leon Powalski | Panther Caroso|
|Andrew Oikonny | Pigma Dengar | Krystal | Ruffian|
|Wolfen | Wolfen II|
|Red Fang | Rainbow Delta | Black Rose|