- “Our probes have picked up enemy activity in the Meteo planetoid system. It looks like Andross has built a planetoid crusher to clear a way through the belt for his invasion fleet. We need to have the Star Fox team check it out. Keep you eyes peeled as you move through the planetoids. Their movement is usually predictable, but if any of theses rocks collide, it could send them careening off in wild directions. We've also scanned some unusual warp energy readings in the sector. If you find the source of to explore it to find out if it is part of Andross's attack.”
- —General Pepper's Flight Log, pg 34
The Meteo Crusher is a utility ship manufactured in the weapons labs on Macbeth, designed to crush asteroids and planets in the Asteroid Field into dust (hence its name), and extract the raw ore and minerals found within them. These materials would then be transported back to Venomian bases to be refined and later used to construct weapons and starfighters. It is very similar to the Rock Crusher, another Asteroid Destroyer in Star Fox for SNES, which was sent to clear a way for Andross's main battle armada.
Despite being a utility vessel, the Meteo Crusher is not defenseless, having a cluster of four cannons on either end of its structures. Once the cannons are destroyed, however, there is nothing keeping its heavy body secured to the main core inside and it flies off into space exposing itself. The core is where the minerals are thought to be stored and is the weakest part of the Meteo Crusher. Its only defense is a single rapid fire cannon at its center.
The Meteo Crusher's pilot was one of the most powerful and intelligent of followers who had been promoted to positions of leadership in Andross's military machine, and was given command of the specialized war machines of great power. Andross has dispatched this key lieutenants to seize a strategic location throughout the Lylat system by clearing the asteroid field away for his empire and was accompanied by fleets of support craft. When Cornerian probes picked up enemy activity in the Meteo planetoid system, the detected that Andross built a planetoid crusher to clear a way through the belt for his invasion fleet. If this natural defensive barrier was penetrated, Corneria would be open to attack by Andross's battleships.
In the Comic
The Meteo Crusher and its Pilot appear in the Lylat Wars Comic, filling the same role as the games. The pilot is confidently and quickly defeated by Star Fox like in the games. Over confident by his victory over the Meteo Crusher, Fox fails to notice UFO readings like Peppy Hare does, before being ambushed by Andrew Oikonny and the Star Wolf Team.
- The method of a rotating wheel with the one hole in it exposing its weak points was also used in Star Fox Adventures, in the Sun Temple and the Moon Temple of Walled City in which Fox must shoot three icons behind a rotating wheel in the correct order to get the stones.
- Oddly enough, skipping the boss via a Warp Portal is the method to obtaining a "Mission Accomplished" rather than a "Mission Complete".
- The Meteo Crusher's ability to generate a reflecting forcefield may have partly inspired the Reflector.
- In addition, its ability to deflect lasers via said forcefield may have been based on the Blade Barrier.
Names in Other Languages
(小惑星破壊艇 Asteroid Destruction Boat)
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox 1993; Instruction Booklet
- Star Fox (End Credits)
|Main Characters||Fox McCloud • Falco Lombardi • Peppy Hare • Slippy Toad • General Pepper • Andross|
|Bosses||Attack Carrier • Destructor • Rock Crusher • Slot Machine • Blade Barrier • Atomic Base • Monarch Dodora • Dancing Insector • Professor Hanger • Plasma Hydra • Spinning Core • Phantron • Metal Smasher • Galactic Rider • Great Commander • Andross|
|Locations||Corneria • Asteroid • Black Hole • Out of This Dimension • Sector X • Space Armada • Titania • Fortuna • Meteor • Sector Y • Sector Z • Macbeth • Venom|
|Navigation||Plot • Missions • Gallery • Videos • Script|