- "I'm gonna bust you up, REAL good!"
- —Pigma Dengar
Pigma is an exceptionally greedy miser who does not care who he hurts so long as he ends up with a large paycheck in the end. He is also extremely sadistic, as evidenced by his claim of "Daddy screamed real good before he died!". Another example of his sadism is how he wholeheartedly and with delight tried to shoot down his former ally Peppy without any apparent hesitation. He didn't even care much for his teamates; he willingly betrayed James for the money and perhaps would have done the same to Star Wolf had he been given the chance (unless Command is believed to be canon, in which case he did have some affection for his teamates). During the Aparoid Invasion, although still his usual greedy self, its also shown that he laughs frequently, hinting at a severe decrease in his sanity since the Lylat Wars.
Although Pigma's first appearance was in the unreleased Star Fox 2, he did not make his first official appearance until Star Fox 64. Pigma was one of the legendary members of the first Star Fox Team, headed by James McCloud. After the scientist Andross' exile to Venom, the team was sent to investigate strange activity coming from the planet. Upon their arrival, Pigma's greed caused him to commit treason against Corneria by betraying the original Star Fox Team to join Andross. Only Peppy Hare managed to escape. He was later hired to fly for Star Wolf Team, in which he focused his attacks on Peppy, his former teammate. When The Lylat Wars erupted, Star Wolf was hired to bring team Star Fox down.
Battle of Fichina
- "Peppy! Long time no see!"
- —Star Fox 64 (Fichina)
Pigma participated in The Battle of Fichina along with the rest of Star Wolf. He and the team flew in the invasion on the planet and helped capture its main base. When Star Fox arrived, to take back the outpost, as well as to difuse a bomb recently discovered within the base, Pigma and the rest of Star Wolf attempted to stop them. Pigma set his sights on Peppy, and said he would continue to taunt his former teammate by gloating about the reward he was receiving for his mission. Star Fox managed to repel Star Wolf or not, and recaptured the base or vise versa, diffusing the bomb in the process or ultimately blowing up the base. Upon being shot down, Pigma laments the loss of his beautiful reward and screams in anguish as he plummets. If Peppy is not present, he'll chuckle to himself and state that Star Wolf will be getting a whole lot of cash for killing Star Fox.
The Battle of Bolse
- "Daddy screamed REAL good, before he DIED!'"
- —Star Fox 64 (Bolse)
Pigma and Star Wolf were then ordered to protect the Bolse station during the Cornerian offensive of Venom. Star Fox was sent to the station to destroy it, and open a route to Venom. Pigma sneered at Fox saying "Daddy screamed real good before he died!", showing his extremely sadistic and cruel nature. He continued attacking Peppy, but was again defeated. Star Wolf was again unsuccessful in stopping Star Fox, and the station was destroyed.
The Battle of Venom
- "Too bad Dad's not here to see ya fail!"
- —Star Fox 64 (Venom)
In the Cornerian invasion of Venom, a now disfigured Star Wolf were ordered to protect Andross's palace. Pigma suffered serious cranial and eye damage and had a protective helmet and goggles to protect and heal the injury. Pigma got his own Wolfen II and thinks highly of it. Upon arrival, he also pities Fox that his dad is not present to see Fox fail his mission. He only expresses disbelief that his Wolfen II, which was superior to the Arwing, was shot down.
Like the others, Pigma survived, and apparently recovered from all his injuries.
- "Hmmm, Is it THAT important? Then I'm gonna be rich! Smell ya later!"
- —Pigma Dengar
In Star Fox: Assault, it was revealed that Wolf O'Donnell later expelled Pigma from Star Wolf due to his incredible greed and distrustful nature (which might explain the claw marks Pigma now has on his head). He also gave a shoot on sight order to the various Ruffians in the Sargasso Space Zone in case Pigma attempted to get near Wolf's territory. Presumably because of his firing from Star Wolf, Pigma now utilizes a new, large yellow ship that possessed a tractor beam and nose art of a character resembling Miss Piggy.
After the initial stages of the Aparoid invasion, he hid away in the military base on Katina (occupied by Aparoids), sending distress beacons which the Star Fox Team soon picked up. After the Katina Base is cleansed of Aparoids, Pigma swoops by and steals the core memory from a large Aparoid, believing it will make him rich.
Sargasso Hideout Space Station
In an interplanetary game of chicken, the Star Fox Team invades the Sargasso Hideout, having been led to believe that Pigma went in hiding there due to the last signal from Pigma originating from there. Just before they succeed, the Star Wolf team enters the scene. After a short dogfight, Wolf reveals that Pigma is no longer part of Star Wolf, and admitted that it was unlikely Pigma actually hid at the hideout as Wolf himself had ordered his own men to shoot him on sight had he came close to entering his territory, but his teammate, Panther, points in the direction where Pigma may be heading.
Fichina's Climate Control Center
The Star Fox team makes way for Fichina. Once there, they discover that Pigma has deactivated the Climate Control Center, making Fichina a snowy wasteland. Upon investigating, they also find out that Pigma is leading the Aparoids somehow, although they were forced to let him escape after he infected a power generator into an Aparoid due to the Control Center going critical, with Krystal expressing disgust at his action. As they eliminate the Aparoids from Fichina and restore the Climate Control Center, they uncover another clue leading to the Meteo asteroid field. Meanwhile in his ship, Pigma has a nightmare about being assimilated by the aparoids, in which, in his sleep he replies "Obey us, Obey us, Obey us, Obey". Although he initially wonders if it was simply a dream, he attempts to fight their control, citing that he isn't willing to obey them if it meant turning down a profit. This foreshadows the event of losing himself to the Aparoid Infection.
Once the Star Fox team gets through the Asteroid field, they finally catch up with Pigma. However, in a last ditch effort to avoid capture, Pigma ultimately undergoes assimilation. Pigma is seen being fused with a seemingly inactive Aparoid spacecraft. He is later transformed into what appears to be an enormous, Aparoid-mutilated face with the spacecraft as its hull and shielding with mechanical, 6 tentacle-like arms with claws on the end as weapons and bomb launchers circling his face, similar to the Gorgon. Eventually, the machine is destroyed by Star Fox, apparently killing Pigma in the process.
Pigma makes a subsequent appearance in Star Fox Command. His body remains transformed in the shape of a cube-shaped puzzle box cyborg. He can be encountered as a final boss in Sector X and Sector Y. It is revealed that Pigma wanted Star Wolf to bring Star Fox to him, and that the plan to get them there was made by Krystal. Pigma explains that he spared Star Wolf because he found them to be good friends. Pigma also commands some Anglar forces to destroy Star Fox, but he shows up himself after they are defeated. Pigma is then destroyed, which leads to one of two endings (where Falco creates Star Falco and Fox and Falco retire and join the G-Zero Grand Prix).
- Pigma appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a sticker. He raises arm attack power by seven.
- As Shigeru Miyamoto states in issue 98 of Nintendo Power magazine, in the Japanese version of Star Fox 64, "Pigma speaks in the Kansai dialect of Japan. In Kansai, people end their sentences with the word 'dengar.' So, it's sort of a Japanese joke."
- Pigma shares his surname with the Bounty Hunter Dengar, a character from the Star Wars series, which in turn shares many similarites and references with the Star Fox series. Pigma's role in James McCloud's death also mirrors Obi-Wan's claim that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered Anakin Skywalker in A New Hope.
- Pigma, along with Krystal, are the only 2 characters to hold both Star Fox and Star Wolf membership, although only Pigma's presence on both teams is confirmed to be canon.
- Although it was stated that Pigma betrayed his comrades for money, the Japanese manual for Star Fox 64 never stated a specific reason for wanting to serve Andross and betraying Star Fox. It is also to be noted that the Nintendo Power guide implies that Pigma is the reason why Wolf and Fox have a rivalry in the first place.
- As Command is unconfirmed to be canon (specifically its endings, two of which Pigma makes his only appearances), it is also unconfirmed whether he really did survive the battle in Assault, thus it is presumed for the moment that he is dead following the Aparoid invasion.
- The battle with Pigma in Assault is similar to the fight with Gorgon in Star Fox 64.
- Pigma can be compared to the equally greedy Wario of the Mario universe.
- Pigma is the only Star Wolf member with an in-game reason as to why he is no longer on the team; he was kicked out because of his incredible greed and distrustful nature. While the Star Fox 64 manga creates its own take on the story with both Pigma and Oikonny being kicked out by Wolf for disobedience.
- Interestingly enough, Andrew Oikonny has a similar, if shorter story, having left Star Wolf by Assault, being (most likely) killed in the Aparoid Invasion, yet turning up alive in Command, with no evidence to his survival outside Command.
- As seen in Star Fox 64 3DS Japanese concept artwork, Pigma can be seen with a similar helmet like James and Fox used. This is a likely reference to Pigma's position as part of the original Star Fox team.
- Pigma's true eye colour is still debatable as it alternates between yellow, red and white. Pigma's regular eye colour is white, while it flickers yellow in Star Fox Command. When he piloted the Wolfen II and became an Aparoid Mutant, his eyes are clearly red.
|Fox McCloud | Falco Lombardi | Slippy Toad | Krystal | ROB 64|
|James McCloud | Pigma Dengar | Peppy Hare|
|Lucy Hare | Amanda | Tricky|
|Marcus McCloud | Slippy's son | Lucy's daughter | Miyu | Fay | Fara Phoenix | Saru|
|Arwing | Landmaster | Blue Marine | Great Fox|
|Wolf O'Donnell | Leon Powalski | Panther Caroso|
|Andrew Oikonny | Pigma Dengar | Krystal|
|Wolfen | Wolfen II | Wolfen Landmaster (non-canon)|