- “Disrespectful little whelps! I'll teach ye some respect!”
- —Sarumarine captain
The captain is a snow monkey, wearing a unique diving helmet. His left eye is smaller than his right one, referencing a common conception about missing or patched eyes among fictional sailors. He wore a white beard in the original Star Fox 64 release, which was removed in the 3DS version.
As one of the most powerful and intelligent of Andross's followers who had been promoted to positions of leadership in Andross's military machine, the captain was given command of a specialized war machine of great power. Andross had dispatched this key lieutenant to seize a strategic location throughout the Lylat system by building a new supply base and mining oil deep under the sea. But in the process, Andross's bio-weaponry caused by the Sarumarine polluted the once beautiful oceans and transformed the beautiful sea creatures into hideous monstrosities. Andross's refinery installations had security systems with high powered searchlights to scan through Zoness's tainted atmosphere, yet the Captain had spotted the Star Fox team before hand using his ship's periscope.
The captain's voice and character in both versions uses stereotypical pirate (Bristolian) accents and tones, further highlighting his similarities to a pirate. He is highly aggressive to the Star Fox team and will attack Fox McCloud without hesitation. Judging by his rank – that of Captain – and orders given within his dialogue, it can be taken that he is not the only member of the crew aboard the vessel. The primate is also somehow sadistic, as he will cackle in a pirate style when he successfully strikes Fox’s Arwing. After the Sarumarine is starting to explode, he will give off a stereotypical pirate roar of pain.
|Star Fox 64/3D||Ja Green|
- The Sarumarine captain somewhat shares his namesake with Saru, a placeholder character from an early version of the unreleased Star Fox 2. Also, both Saru and the captain are primates.
- The captain may be based on the Japanese macaques, commonly known as a Snow Monkeys. This makes sense, for they share white fur, tan faces and Japanese macaques are great swimmers which contributes to the captain commanding a submarine.
- In Japan, the snow monkeys are known as Nihonzaru (Nihon "Japan" + saru "monkey") to distinguish it from other primates, so when Japanese people simply say Saru, they usually have in mind the Japanese macaque.
- The Sarumarine captain's icon was used for someone who piloted/commanded one of the four Harlock-class Frigates in Sector β. He doesn't have any actual dialogue besides screaming when his ships was taken down by either Fox, his teammates, or Bill Grey.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.