- “Corneria's main battle fleet has suffered severe losses in Sector Y! A huge space battle has left our flagship crippled- or perhaps worse. Debriefed survivors have informed us about a new attack squadron of gigantic humanoid battle suits in the area. Although it may be too late to rescue our fleet from disaster, we need you to get in there and take out Andross's new iron soldiers! Their shields will deflect anything but a direct hit, so aim carefully! They are of course, accompanied by star fighters that will keep you on your toes.”
- —General Pepper's Flight Log, pg 60
Sector Y is one of three strange nebula located in the Lylat System. It was the location of a major battle between Corneria's main battle fleet and Andross' forces during the Lylat Wars and later battles.
Sector Y is part of a trio of nebulae that appear in the shape of a letter, itself formed in the shape of a giant Y. Though not as severe as those found in Sector X, radiation storms and fluctuating magnetic waves make travel through this sector dangerous, as the ionized space dust causes equipment malfunction or failure in most ships. It is thought by some scientists that the harsh state of Sector Y is the result of a failed Bolse satellite that underwent nuclear meltdown, polluting the sector with the radioactive fallout.
- “A great cloud of space dust has formed in the shape of the letter Y in this Sector. As in Sector X, there is strange radiation and magnetic waves in this area, but the fluctuations are not as severe. Casual travel through the area is still not recommended.”
- —Star Fox 64.com
- “Sector Y is a mysterious zone haunted by conflicting storms of radiation and magnetic energy. The space dust that ionises the sector tends to cause the equipment of most space craft to malfunction or fail. Sector Y renders most ships helpless, leaving them victims to space pirates and Venom's armies. Usually, pilots wisely steer clear of the eerie vacuum, but those who dare to enter rarely escape. Scientists attribute much of the existence of the Sector Y phenomenon on a failed Bolse satellite prototype that underwent a nuclear meltdown and polluted the zone with its radioactive remains.”
- —Lylat Datalink; The battleship graveyard, pg 63
During the course of the Lylat Wars, the main Cornerian battle fleet engaged in a desperate melee with Venomian forces at Sector Y. The fleet took heavy losses when Andross' latest invention, large humanoid battle suits, were employed en mass to devastating effect. Highly maneuverable and protected by thick physical shields plus wielding laser pistols, the robot troopers supported by the Dorisby and Grazan capital ships threatened to overwhelm the Cornerian fleet.
The timely arrival of the Star Fox Team saved the fleet from certain destruction. Plowing through the enemy fleet, the team confronted the flagship Saruzin, protected by two Shogun Warriors and Shogun itself. Fox McCloud succeeded in destroying the giant robots, breaking the back of the attacking fleet. The Cornerian Army was able to mop up the remaining enemies.
During the Aparoid Invasion, Pigma Dengar, who was being pursued by the Star Fox team, fled into Sector Y after escaping through Meteo. The team caught up with him and destroyed the Aparoid-infected Pigma.
The Star Fox team again fought at Sector Y during the final moments of the Anglar invasion in one of the endings. Fox McCloud and Falco Lombardi traced Wolf O'Donnell, who had stolen the device made by Andross to neutralize the Venom Sea from Titania to Sector Y. However, it was a trap as they were surrounded by Anglar forces and the "Ghost" of Pigma. This delay allowed Star Wolf to sterilize the toxic wasteland of Venom into a mild climated paradise and destroy the Anglars and their Emperor. Gripped with despair by Star Wolf stealing his role of galactic hero and Krystal's loyalty, Fox invites Falco to retire with him to Papetoon to drown his grief.
In the Comic
In the Star Fox comic adaptation, the bonus blue whale that flies across the sky if Fox does not harm any of the native creatures is depicted as the transdimensional manifestation of a starship. Fox's father was transported to another dimension, where he helped the crew learn the language of Lylat. As he is now a part of their dimension, he cannot cross back and resume his old life.
Names in Other Languages
|Japanese||(セクターＹ, Sekutā Wai)|
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
|Planets||Aparoid Homeworld • Aquas • Cerinia • Corneria • Fichina • Fortuna • Grippia • Katina • Kew • Macbeth • Papetoon • Sauria • Solar • Titania • Venom • Zoness|
|Sectors||Sector α • Sector β • Sector γ • Sector Ω • Area 6 • Meteo • Sector X • Sector Y • Sector Z • Warp Zone • Out of This Dimension|
|Artificial Objects||Black Hole • Orbital Gate • Bolse • Meteor • Sargasso Hideout • Space Armada • Astropolis|
|Cities||Corneria City • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Fichina Base • Fichina City • Climate control center • Aquas Ruins • Area 3|