- “Good people of the Lylat system... My name is Wolf O'Donnell. I am the leader of the Star Wolf squadron! We know that many of you have a somewhat negative opinion of us. This saddens us greatly, for we love all the people of this great system. But we placed our lives in peril with no thought of reward or glory. Perhaps now, you might find it in your hearts to embrace us as equals. For even the coldest of hearts sometimes yearns for friendship.”
- —Wolf O'Donnell
Star Wolf is a group of mercenaries led by Wolf O'Donnell. They were originally associated with the evil Andross, and after his demise cemented themselves as rivals of Star Fox. They also dabbled in more illegal activities such as larceny and smuggling.
The original team consisted of Wolf O'Donnell, Leon Powalski, Andrew Oikonny, and Pigma Dengar. In Star Fox: Assault, it is revealed that both Pigma and Andrew were expelled from Star Wolf, and Wolf replaced them with Panther Caroso. In Star Fox Command, Krystal joins Star Wolf but can either stay with Star Wolf or join Fox McCloud depending on the player's decisions. Also, they have massive bounties placed on their heads because of their work. Their main ship is the Wolfen.
Wolf O'Donnell used to be the leader of a gang of space pirates before Andross offered him money to lead a mercenary team against Fox McCloud and the Star Fox team because he was vicious pilot who seemed to be trying to prove that he is as good a pilot as Fox McCloud. Jumping at the chance to see Fox fail, Wolf teamed up with the traitorous Pigma Dengar because of their common delight in Star Fox's doom. Andross's whining nephew, Andrew Oikonny was also made a pilot to keep him out of his uncle's own business, and because he wanted nothing to do with him. Wolf also found Leon Powalski in a rough bar on Venom, a mysterious reptilian pilot who liked to make his opponents suffer before he destroys them. Funded and equipped by Andross, Star Wolf was born as vicious group of elite pilots to defend the key routes to Venom, destroy Star Fox and protect Andross, using the most advanced version of Andross's "Wolfen" class starfighters which may have been even be superior to the Star Fox team's Arwings.
Andross summoned the original Star Wolf group to take down the Star Fox team before they could succeed in their mission. Star Fox encountered them at the battles of Fichina and Bolse, pitting Arwing against Wolfen in dogfights for Pilot superiority. Desperate measures called for Star Wolf to pilot the Ultra Performance All-Range Fighters, Wolfen II to defend the palace of Andross. Following their defeats and Andross's destruction, Star Wolf disappeared, dabbling in illegal activities.
Pigma Dengar was kicked off the team for his greed and unreliable nature, while Andrew Oikonny was removed for unknown reasons. Afterwards, Oikonny rallied rebels from the remnants of his uncle's army in hopes of avenging him. While Panther Caroso arrived in exchange to take both their places. Star Wolf made themselves up new residence and headquarters inside the Sargasso Hideout, with various criminals working for them and acting as security.
When the Star Fox Team infiltrated the Hideout to arrest Pigma, Wolf became infuriated at their intrusion, sparking more dogfighting. After explanations were given, Wolf revealed that he threw Pigma off the team without any chance of sanctuary. Falling for the beauty of Krystal, Panther let slip Pigma's whereabouts, before Star Wolf departed making a promise to return.
Shockingly, Wolf and his team appeared without warning at the Aparoid decimation of Corneria City, to aid the Star Fox team and Cornerians in their common struggle against the aparoids. This surprising support of Star Wolf at the battles of the Corneria City, orbital gate and aparoid homeworld allowed Star Fox to deliver the self-destruct program to the Aparoid Queen and cause the species wipeout. Star Wolf bravely led a chasing team of Aparoids away from Star Fox, making their fates unclear due to the homeworld's destruction. Fox however remained positive that Wolf's team would live to fight another day.
Star Wolf returned after their apparent survival from the Aparoid war, continuing so far in crime that the Cornerian Army placed a heavy price on all their heads. Krystal joined Star Wolf following her rocky fallout with Fox, and apparently started a relationship with Panther. Her status depends on the ending, as she can stay with Star Wolf, return to Fox, or leave both.
Following one ending, Fox enlists Wolf's piloting skill to aid him in hopes of destroying the Anglar Empire. Wolf only uses Star Fox to his advantage, after gaining possession of Andross's terraforming device in hopes of clearing his own team's negative reputation. The Lylat System thank Star Wolf for their courageous efforts, but treat Krystal differently feeling she betrayed Star Fox.
In the gamesEdit
Star Fox 2Edit
Star Fox 2 was set to mark the team's debut under the name of the Wolf Team. Since the cancelled game's elements were adopted by Star Fox 64 it is likely that their roles were pretty much similar. Their roles in Star Fox 2 are actually exactly the same. They were hired by Andross to take out the Star Fox team. Yet each member is fought individually instead of all at once, and Oikonny is not present as a Star Wolf member (however, a similar character to him appears in higher difficulties that goes by the name of Andrew in fan translations in attempt to follow current continuity). The order for easy mode is: Pigma, Leon, and Wolf. Wolf is always fought last in every difficulty, and is the penultimate boss of Star Fox 2.
Star Fox 64/3DEdit
In Star Fox 64 and the 3DS release, Star Wolf appear at Fichina, Venom II and may appear at Bolse. Their arrival is hinted after certain cutscenes and when the music stops and their leitmotif begins. Wolf always targets Fox, Leon always tails Falco, Pigma chases hold old wingmate Peppy, while Andrew goes after Slippy. The fact that Wolf and Fox know each other hints that their rivalry has been going on for years, but the strategy guide hints that they may never have become enemies if not for Pigma's influence.
Official Site descriptionsEdit
- “Funded and equipped by Andross, the Star Wolf team is a group of elite evil pilots who defend the key routs to Venom. The Star Wolf team is lead by Wolf O'Donnel, a vicious pilot who seems to be trying to prove that he is as good a pilot as Fox McCloud. Other members include the traitorous Pigma Dengar, who led Fox's father James McCloud into Andross's clutches; Leon Powalski, a mysterious reptilian pilot who likes to make his opponents suffer before he destroys them, and Andrew Oikonny, whining nephew of Andross. The Star Wolf team always flies the most advanced version of Andross's "Wolfen" class starfighters. These starfighter prototypes may even be superior to the Star Fox team's Arwings….”
- —Star Fox 64.com
- “The evil ying to Star Fox team's yang, this fearsome foursome of mercenary pilots have been recruited by Andross to hinder the progress of Fox and his team.”
- —Star Fox 64 3D.com
Star Wolf TeamEdit
- “The war at Bolse is hardly a struggle until the fearsome foursome zoom in to put an end to the Star Fox team. Wolf, Pigma, Leon and Andrew know that they're the only ones who are left to stop you and your team from reaching Andross's home on Venom. They're not about to fail their boss, so they'll tail your Arwings like a vapour trail. Stay undaunted and rabidly dogfight your rivals, because their demise is your ticket to scoring at least 150 hits. Once you've started to disable Bolse's core, the battlefield will become frenzied with laser fire, son concentrate on downing the Star Wolf team before focusing your efforts on destroying Bolse. "Playtime is over," Wolf taunts. Make those his last words.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 57
- “This is the final showdown between you and your longtime rival. If not for Pigma's influence, you may never have become enemies. Who knows? In another time, another place, you might have called him friend…”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 111
Star Fox: AssaultEdit
In Assault, Star Wolf appear as the boss of Mission 3. Wolf as usual will go after Fox until he is shot down, where he will say: "You ain't your father after all…". Panther will stay near Krystal but will not attack her, and will say after shooting him: "Make me mad and your life's as good as gone.". Leon will stay near Falco and will ask after he is shot by Fox: "Who do you think I am?". When they are shot down and the mission is complete, Wolf reveals that Pigma was fired from the team and if he came near the hideout he would have been driven out. Panther is taken by Krystal and he slip gives where the team will find Pigma next. In Missions 7, 8 and 10, Star Wolf appear with different motives and will shoot down aparoid enemies. In the final mission, if they player holds out long enough against the last aparoid defence, Star Wolf will lead them away to allow Star Fox to reach the parotid queen.
Star Fox CommandEdit
- “Star Wolf, the true rivals of Star Fox, continued to be involved in dirty dealings. Their work soon caught the attention of the Cornerian military, who put a massive bounty on their heads…”
- —In-game backstory intro
Star Wolf return in Command where they survived the aparoid war and have become wanted fugitives with high bounties on their heads. Selecting creation paths will cause them to be encountered by Fox, and they play pivotal roles in three of the nine endings.
Fog of WarEdit
After arriving on Fichina, liberating the planet from the Anglar forces, Star Wolf, who at this point are worried about the bounty that has been placed on them, emerge and attack Fox and Slippy but subsequently lose. Fox tells them he is too busy to deal with them now.
Fox heads to Fichina in order to try and convince Wolf to join in his cause. Despite R.O.B.'s somewhat pessimistic outlook on the likelihood of Wolf's assistance, Fox continues onwards, only to find that the Anglar forces have invaded here as well.
After eradicating the Anglar settlers, Star Wolf emerge to attack Fox thinking that he came to collect the bounty on their heads, but they too are defeated. When the skirmish is over, Fox asks Wolf if he will attack the Anglar forces with him. Despite his obvious disdain at the prospect, Wolf agrees, but also inquires as to whether he will be paid. The two then head to Solar to reunite with Falco (The Red-Hot Planet).
Star Fox ZeroEdit
In Star Fox Zero, Star Wolf return acting as they did before in previous games. Using Wolfen identical to the ones seen in Star Fox 64 3D, the ships are highlighted with arrow headed lettered initials above indicating the pilot, being W (Wolf) L (Leon) P (Pigma) and A (Andrew). Pigma retreats after taking enough damage promising to settle his score with Fox later while Caiman protests that they had a deal.
Wolf O'Donnell, sometimes called Lord O'Donnell, is the leader of Star Wolf and rival of Fox McCloud.
Leon Powalski is the only original member other than Wolf himself to have stayed with Star Wolf since Star Fox 64. Leon is a dangerous enemy, whose secretive nature is emulated in by having psychopathic traits - very cold, calculating, and cunning.
Panther Caroso made his first appearance as the newest member of Star Wolf in Star Fox: Assault. His signature symbol is a red rose and is quite conceited, often embarrassing those around him. He is also quite a flirt, considering himself a ladies' man.
Pigma Dengar is one of the original members of the Star Fox team, and after he betrayed James McCloud and Peppy Hare to Andross, he joined Star Wolf. Wolf later expels Pigma from Star Wolf due to his incredible greed and distrustful nature (he also mentions that "If he'd shown his filthy hide here [Sargasso Space Zone] my [Wolf's] men would have driven him out", which implies that he also gave his men the order to shoot on sight if Pigma ended up coming near their territory).
Andrew Oikonny is the nephew of the evil Andross. He is an inexperienced pilot who only flies to try and follow in Andross's footsteps. Shortly before the events of Star Fox: Assault, Oikonny was kicked out of Star Wolf for undisclosed reasons. He then took control of his dead uncle's remaining army and started a rebellion against the Cornerian Army.
Various criminals were under the employment of Wolf during the Aparoid Invasion era. They regarded Wolf as their leader evident by one particular ruffian naming him as "Lord O'Donnell".
After being forced off the Star Fox team for her own safety by Fox, Krystal became heartbroken and vanished. Certain paths see her as a member of Star Wolf and starting a relationship with Panther. In the Star Wolf Returns ending, Krystal becomes very unpopular with the public who then view her as a traitor to the Star Fox team.
Technology and EquipmentEdit
The technology and equipment used by members of Star Wolf is very similar to that of the Star Fox team, although it is sometimes depicted as more advanced. The Sargasso Hideout acted as Star Wolf's base of operations during the Aparoid Invasion era, fitted with the teleportal Transfer Devices for a quick entry for reinforcements. With former Venomian Army soldiers brought into the hideout, some similar tech was also taken on board.
The team primarily uses the Wolfen as means of transportation and starfighting. Its statistics rival that of the Arwing's. In all games, Star Wolf is fought in their Wolfens, and in Star Fox Command, the Wolfens used are customized personal craft. To defend Andross's palace, the team used the Wolfen II to deny any chance of Star Fox's victory.
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wolf uses a Landmaster of his own, and it is given the title "Wolfen Landmaster" in-game. The trophy for the vehicle indicates that Wolf stole schematics for the Star Fox team's Landmaster and used them to make his own, more powerful version. With upgrades comes greater use of fuel, so Wolf's Landmaster only lasts a few seconds on stage.
In the MangaEdit
With altered roles compared to the games, Star Wolf appear in the Star Fox 64 manga, where they ambush Star Fox at the Asteroid Belt with a disrupter torpedo. The Star Wolf team are beaten badly, with Fox intent on capturing Pigma for his crime against his old team. Wolf stops Fox from chasing Pigma, letting the Pig escape to Venom and threatens Fox to leave him alone or he'll be set to join his late father. This comment causes Fox to become convinced at the rumours surrounding Wolf's involvement with James's fate. Crash landing on Venom, facing and suffering Andross's wrath and frustration, Pigma and Andrew blame each other for their failure as Andross warns them not to fail again or he'll vaporise them. Pigma and Andrew continue their mission to take down Star Fox in revenge for their humiliation. But they are attacked above Solar by Wolf, then Andrew asks Wolf why he is firing on his own team, he reveals that because both Pigma and Andrew acted without his approval, feeling they don't deserve to be on his team, so their alliance is over. Wolf's attacks on them indadvertedly saves Fox's life just so that they can carry on their personal quarrels.
The Star Wolf leitmotif has made an appearance in every one of the team's appearances, except for the unreleased Star Fox 2.
- The Star Wolf theme first appears in Star Fox 64, followed by an orchestra remake for Star Fox: Assault and then returning for Star Fox 64 3D.
- The theme returns as Wolf's personal theme during his gameplay in Star Fox Command.
- The theme also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl in a new version and the Star Fox: Assault version is included as an unlockable soundtrack.
- While the Star Fox: Assualt game itself does not state why Oikonny has gone seperate ways from Star Wolf, the game's instruction booklet indicates that he was kicked out of the team, while trophies in the Super Smash Bros. series support the story and hint that his boasting, whining nature and limited piloting skills made Wolf give him the boot out of the team.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- Star Fox: Assault/Script
- List of endings in Star Fox Command
|Wolf O'Donnell | Leon Powalski | Panther Caroso|
|Andrew Oikonny | Pigma Dengar | Krystal | Ruffian|
|Wolfen | Wolfen II|
|Red Fang | Rainbow Delta | Black Rose | Pigma's ship|