- “The ancient civilisation of Aquas once stood above the waves on a series of islands admits the global ocean. There, people built great temples and made a living by harvesting sea life from the surrounding waters. But long ago, a monstrous entity known as Bacoon grew in the depths of the ocean, and it was jealous of the glorious civilisation on the land. Over many years, Bacoon grew powerful. It learned how to control the other aquatic lifeforms, like the explosive Starfish. When Bacoon commanded thousands of the Starfish to migrate to the ice cap and explode, the resulting heat melted the polar ice cap and all the islands were covered by the sea forever.”
- —Lylat Datalink; Mysteries in the Deep pg 86
Starfish, more commonly referred to as explosive starfish, are lifeforms native to Aquas. Andross had been using bio-engineering techniques to mutate the sea creatures of Aquas into bio-tech enhanced monsters from the abyss. Each mindless bio-tech drone had been conditioned to think only one thought, destroy Star Fox or be destroyed.
Explosive Starfish are five-fin pointed starfish that lay dormant until the Blue-Marine draws too near. They have a defense mechanism where they detonate in front of an enemy and proceed to self-destruct in a concussive/heated explosion. The explosive blasts that the Starfish emit are very devastating and won't reward any Hit points if they are not shot down beforehand.
- “These Starfish explode when hit by torpedoes or in close proximity to the Blue-Marine. Shoot them from a distance so they explode before you get too close. A good alternative is to avoid them.”
- —Official Nintendo Power Player's Guide, pg 85
- “Shoot, fire torpedoes and barrel roll simultaneously for best results in the seas of Aquas. To make sure you destroy as many enemies as possible, use the brake to hold back and get them all! The underwater canyon just before the final lieutenant is a particularly target rich environment full of shrimp mutants and starfish. Be sure to destroy the huge barnacles on top of Bacoon's shell as these are worth 12 hit points.”
- —Star Fox 64.com
According to historical records, thousands of these starfish, under Bacoon's control, migrated to Aquas' ice caps and exploded en masse, the resulting heat melting them and flooding the planet. During the Lylat Wars, Andross had been using bio-engineering techniques to mutate the sea creatures of Aquas into deadly weapons. However, because of the rapidly spreading pollution in the planet's ocean, Cornerian Intelligence were unable to determine exactly what was happening on the planet. During the Lylat Wars, several Starfish were encountered by the Blue-Marine, making a quite difficult foe.
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
|Bioweapons & Wildlife|
|Boss Bioweapons and Monsters|
|Bacoon | Goras | Vulcain | Golemech | Biobrain | Dune Worm | Killer Bee (Star Fox Command) | Grunner | Monarch Dodora | Plasma Hydra|
|Gores | Troikas | Z-Gulls | Z-Serpents | Kani|
|Clam | Aquas Squid | Starfish | Giant Spindly Fish | Angler Fish | Sculpins | Garoas | Todora (Star Fox 64) | Todora (Star Fox Command)|
|Bomb Spore Plant | Alpine Root | MoonSeed | Bomb Spore | Bomb Spore Planting Patch | Magic Plant | Blue GrubTub Fungus | White GrubTub Fungus | MushGus | Cacti | Dumbledang Tree | Dumbledang Pods | Fire Weed | Spore Pod | Venus Foxtrap|
|Asteroid | Lava Bombs | Solar Prominences | Blocker | Pillars | Stone Column | Monument | Ore | Aquas Ruins|