- “Welcome to my store. Feel free to look at the many wonderful items within these walls. I have food, special goods, and many maps. And if you like to play games, then enter the Scarab Room! Yesss... Oh! And that's the exit...Now, if you find something that you like, then choose that item, and we'll discuss a price. Is that clear?...Good! Now hurry up and choose something. Or get out!”
The ThornTail Store is the only shop on Dinosaur Planet, and consequently, the only shop in Star Fox Adventures. The shop is located in ThornTail Hollow, and is run by the mysterious ShopKeeper, who only accepts Scarabs as payment.
This shop is divided into the Main Room, the Scarab Room, and 3 shopping rooms, all of which have a different color representing the nature of the goods sold in the particular room. The Main Room's doors form an inequilateral hexagon, which connects all the other rooms to the Main Room. If the player takes the first door from either left or right of the entrance, he or she will end up in the Scarab Room. The second door on left leads to the Blue Room and the second door on the right leads to the Purple Room. The Red Room is located opposite the entrance. There is also a well in the middle of the Main Room, from which Fox may buy a Cheat Token. The cheat token may be taken to the Game Well Maze under the Warp Stone.
To buy an item, Fox must approach the Item to select it, and it will attract the ShopKeeper to arrange a price, but he will be chased away if his required number of Scarabs does not match his current total.
The Blue Room
Here the ShopKeeper has all his perishables:
|Dumbledang Pod||3 Scarabs||2 Scarabs|
|4 Dumbledang Pods||10 Scarabs||8 Scarabs|
|PukPuk Egg||6 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|3 PukPuk Eggs||15 Scarabs||10 Scarabs|
|FireFly||10 Scarabs||7 Scarabs|
|Fuel Cell||10 Scarabs||8 Scarabs|
|Bomb Spore||5 Scarabs||3 Scarabs|
|Blue GrubTub Fungus||12 Scarabs||12 Scarabs|
- The blue room is completely unneeded as mostly everything in it can be easily found in other places, unless a specific amount of items is needed, Fuel Cells for instance.
- There are two canisters in the hallway between Main Room and Purple Room. They contain a two Dumbledang Pods, which can also be bought in the Blue Room at a high price. This makes buying Dumbledang Pods a fool's errand.
- Strangely, even if Fox does not have the FireFly Lantern, he can actually buy FireFlies, but is unable to store them, thus buying nothing for the price of ten Scarabs.
The Yellow Room
In this room he has all kinds of special goods and four maps:
|Bafomdad Holder||20 Scarabs||15 Scarabs|
|FireFly Lantern||20 Scarabs||17 Scarabs|
|SnowHorn Artifact||130 Scarabs||110 Scarabs|
|Tricky's Ball||15 Scarabs||11 Scarabs|
|Rock Candy||10 Scarabs||8 Scarabs|
|Hi-Def Display Device||20 Scarabs||17 Scarabs|
|Krazoa Palace Map||5 Scarabs||3 Scarabs|
|Dragon Rock Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|Cape Claw Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|Ocean Force Point Temple Map||10 Scarabs||7 Scarabs|
- Four of the items are required purchases but can only be bought after Fox has been given each size of necessary Scarab Bag after specific game points.
- Three of the items were apparently stolen by the ShopKeeper, only to be bought back by Fox.
The Purple Room
This room holds most of the ShopKeeper's maps:
|ThornTail Hollow Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|SnowHorn Wastes Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|Moon Mountain Pass Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|DarkIce Mines Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|CloudRunner Fortress Map||5 Scarabs||3 Scarabs|
|LightFoot Village Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|Walled City Map||5 Scarabs||4 Scarabs|
|Volcano Force Point Temple Map||10 Scarabs||9 Scarabs|
- In the second part of the Purple Room there is a Rocket Boost Pad, which can be used to reach the upper floor of the Store. There are four containers having a total of eight Scarabs inside.
The Scarab Room
In this room, Scarabs can be gambled with the ShopKeeper. First he asks the amount of Scarabs to be gambled, with the maximum of ten. He then throws the desired number of Green Scarabs into the play area, from where they have to be collected within 30 seconds. The catch is, that he also frees the same amount of Purple Scarabs in the play area, which when collected, result in losing the bet. The amount of Scarabs lost is reduced by the amount of Green ones collected before stumbling into a Purple one. For example, with a 10 Scarab bet, and only four collected Scarabs before getting a Purple one, will result in six Scarab loss. The bet is won if all Green ones are collected. The prize is rather unsurprisingly the amount of Scarabs gambled. Playing the game actually costs nothing unless a bet is lost.
- It is possible to cheat the ShopKeeper out of a small fortune. If Fox continually buys items and then gambles in the scarab room for the price of that item, he can win back all the money he spends, effectively taking all the items in the shop and paying nothing - assuming he wins.
- When exiting the Scarab Room, Fox normally has to pick either left or right. But if he goes straight through the wall instead, he enters a room containing a large rock. Under this rock there are three Orange Scarabs, which are worth 10 Scarabs each. This isn't hard to exploit, since they will be back every time Fox leaves the ThornTail Hollow.
- The ShopKeeper will let Fox bargain for a lower price, by tapping the Control Stick down when he shows him the price. The ShopKeeper doesn't always sell things for a bargain price. But curiously, he also lets Fox pay overprice, by tapping the Control Stick upwards. Nothing is known to be gained by doing this.
- If Fox talks to the ThornTail in front of the Warp Stone area's entrance before going to the DarkIce Mines, the ThornTail asks Fox if he has visited the Warp Stone Shop yet. This may imply that the ThornTail Store has had its name changed in later parts of the game's development, since the only shop in the whole game is the ThornTail Store.
- Buying the maps is not required to complete the game but their purchase is the only way to get the P.D.A's map scanner working on a specific area, and a report from Peppy Hare about the area will be provided when contacting him.
- When staying within the store for a long time, the ShopKeeper mutters to himself about his draft old cave, being in business for over 200 years, the Warp Stone giving him a headache, and apparently moving to Cape Claw.
- The entrance to the shop requires customers to climb down a rock wall and then up over a high ledge, which is easy enough for someone of Fox's shape, but it would be very difficult if not impossible for a ThornTail or even any other quadrupedal dinosaur to actually enter.
- Originally, in earlier versions of the game, all you had to do was climb down a ladder, and there was no ledge for you to climb up, it was all leveled.
- In the earlier version of the game, the hidden room directly across from the Scarab Room contained three red Staff Energy Gems that could be collected, but was later replaced the big rock containing scarabs.
- In the Kiosk version of the game, rather than images of the kinds of items for each room, there were just plain-text describing what you could find in each room, like 'Maps'.
- Originally, you couldn't haggle in the earlier versions of the game, and you'd be forced to pay full price.
- In the Kiosk version you could gamble with a forced-minimum of 5 scarabs (even if you only had one scarab) in the Scarab Room. The purple scarabs were originally red and only reduced your amount of green scarabs collected. They didn't end the minigame abruptly as they do in the final game.
|Lands of Sauria|
|ThornTail Hollow | SnowHorn Wastes | Cape Claw | Moon Mountain Pass | LightFoot Village|
|Krazoa Palace | Ice Mountain|
|Force Point Temples|
|Volcano Force Point Temple | Ocean Force Point Temple|
|DarkIce Mines | CloudRunner Fortress | Walled City | Dragon Rock|
|Staff Cavern | Gas Trap | Game Well Maze | Flying Galleon | ThornTail Store | Ancient Well | Krazoa Shrine|