- “Traffic to Titania is usually restricted, but we have heard that Andross's scout forces are on the planet. We don't know what they're up to, but if they gain control of the technology of the planet's ancient Goras defence system, who knows what Andross might use it for. Get down there and see what Andross is planning, and neutralise Goras if you can! Since Corneria's tank corps is limited, your team's Landmaster is the only vehicle that can do the job. Good luck!”
- —General Pepper's Flight Log, pg 50
Titania is the second planet of the Lylat system, is a vast, barren desert world. The planet's atmosphere is composed of black clouds and red dust blown by the ion storms that buffet its surface. Various cactus plants are Titania's only visible sign of life.
Titania is known as the "Red Planet" due to massive ion storms that stir up red dust from the planet's surface and deposit it into the stratosphere. Archaeologists have discovered a large number of ancient ruins on Titania, pointing to an ancient civilization that once inhabited the planet. The only survivor of this lost civilization is a creature code-named "Goras", believed to be an advanced planetary defense system. Due to Titania's hostile nature, travel to the planet is usually restricted to researchers alone.
- “Titania is known as the "Red Planet" due to the huge ion storms that swirl dust from the surface of the planet into its stratosphere. Archaeologists have found surprisingly advanced ancient ruins on this planet, and, in fact, a high-tech, planetary defense system, code named "Goras," is still active. Travel to the planet has been prohibited because of to the threat to starships posed by this system.”
- —Star Fox 64.com
Long ago, Titania was a prosperous, fertile world home to a progressive agrarian society. Using advanced construction techniques, the Titanians erected ornate cities of stone located between small farming communities. As is evidenced in their elaborate temples, the Titanians are thought to have worshiped the Goras creature as a sort of harvest god and as an advanced planetary defense system. In time, an asteroid, possibly from the Meteo Asteroid Belt, collided with Titania, instantly turning what was once a lush world into its current desolate state.
- “Millions of years ago, Titania was a thriving planet populated by an advanced agrarian civilisation. Interspersed between the farming communities were ornate cities of stone that the Titanians constructed using advanced engineering and architectural techniques. The centrepiece of every town was its temple, where villagers would leave their harvests to appease the fearsome Goras. Now, two million years after an asteroid collided with Titania, the Goras is the only surviving creature roaming the planet. A far cry from the lush, green planet it once was, Titania has become a barren wasteland of deserts and dunes. Even the Goras is different- a direct result of Andross's biomechanics experimentation.”
- —Lylat Datalink, The Red Planet, pg 53
During the Lylat Wars, scout forces sent by Andross took control of the desert planet due to its large deposits of raw materials. The Star Fox Team battled through Venomian forces in search of Slippy Toad, who had crash-landed on Titania and was captured by the Goras. While searching, the team also had to be wary of an oncoming magnetic storm after Falco alerted them to its presence. Ultimately, Fox rescued Slippy, destroying the Goras in the process.
Four years after the Lylat Wars, research bases were established on Titania to study planetary records, including one such base commanded by Captain Shears. Katt Monroe, as well as the other members of the space hot rodders gang, battled against another Goras that was secretly sent by Captain Shears himself. Shears and his subordinates were later revealed to be remnant Androssians, and they had experimented with various regeneration technologies in hopes of reviving Andross. The regeneration process finished prematurely, and the result was a mindless clone of Andross which was promptly defeated by Fox McCloud. The Titanian base collapsed with Andross's destruction and the base was buried with him.
Years after the Aparoid Invasion, Titania was invaded by the Anglar Empire and visited by the Star Fox and Star Wolf Teams in search of a terraforming device created by Andross. However, the "ghost" of Andross would not so easily give up the device, deploying Bioweapons to protect it. Whichever Team claimed the device used it to transform the desolate, toxic wasteland of Venom into a sterilized, mild climated paradise.
- As to whether or not this "ghost" of Andross was hologram left behind to guard it or that the Ape still survived his death and became a wandering spirit remained unknown. But if Dash Bowman fights the Monarch Dodora, Andross will order the creature to stop attacking his grandson to no avail, meaning a hologram would not be able to react differently to a pilot's identity.
Lylat Wars Comic
Titania appears in the Lylat Wars Comic, where Slippy crash lands after failure to understand the Arwings fuel tank warnings, likely because he dropped out of the Cornerian Flight Academy. Fox drives the Vector Class II Cybertank Landmaster to find Slippy, since the Arwings are unable to venture down due to planetary conditions. Goras has Slippy's Arwing stuck in its claws until Fox blasts it off, destroying the Zied Parasite. Slippy thanks Fox for saving him before being reminded not to ignore his low fuel tank warnings and the team's creed: "All for one and one for all."
- In Star Fox: Farewell, Beloved Falco, Slippy has post-traumatic disorder about going to Titania because of bad memories of being nearly eaten by Goras. But the considered true ending of Star Fox 64 includes reaching Venom via Area 6, which is impossible to reach if Titania is included in the player's flight path, unless all routes are considered canon outside of gameplay.
- In Star Fox 64 3D, the planets rings can now be seen from the surface.
Behind the scenes
- Titania, like Macbeth, both have the same names as characters from literature by William Shakespeare. They also both are visited using the Landmaster.
- Titania physically resembles the real world planet Saturn and has identical conditions to Mars, yet water has been known to exist on Mars while Titania has 0% hydrographics making life seemingly impossible.
- Titania is similar to the desert planet Arrakis from the Dune franchise. The desert worm controlled by Andross' ghost in Command is very much like Dune's giant sand worms. Another identical giant creature called Scrapworm appears in Star Fox Zero.
Names in Other Languages
- NINTENDO POWER Star Fox 64: Official Nintendo Player's Guide. Redmond, WA, Nintendo of America. 1997.
- "Farewell, Beloved Falco". Published by Nintendo in 2002.
- Star Fox 1993; Instruction Booklet
|Planets||Aparoid Homeworld • Aquas • Cerinia • Corneria • Fichina • Fortuna • Grippia • Katina • Kew • Macbeth • Papetoon • Sauria • Solar • Titania • Venom • Zoness|
|Sectors||Sector α • Sector β • Sector γ • Sector Ω • Area 6 • Meteo • Sector X • Sector Y • Sector Z • Warp Zone • Out of This Dimension|
|Artificial Objects||Black Hole • Orbital Gate • Bolse • Meteor • Sargasso Hideout • Space Armada • Astropolis|
|Cities||Corneria City • Katina Frontline Base • Katina Outpost • Fichina Base • Fichina City • Climate control center • Aquas Ruins • Area 3|