- “To receive incoming messages, tap that Touch Screen.”
- —Yaru de Pon
Yaru de Pon (ヤル・デ・ポン), is a tanuki that appears in Star Fox 64 and its 3DS rerelease. According to Slippy Toad's information on the Japanese Star Fox 64 official website, he is actually the president of Space Dynamics. Slippy knows this because he works closely with his father, Beltino Toad. He only appears in the game's Training Mode, acting as a trainer, teaching the neccessary techniques to pilot the Arwing in both standard "Corridor Mode" and All-Range Mode.
As seen in the more detailed 3DS release, Yaru appears to be a tanuki with a green and red cap, similar to Slippy Toad, while wearing a grey uniform resembling that of the Star Fox team's. A theory is that he may be a flight instructor for the Cornerian Army. He holds up a wrench showing that he is also some type of mechanic.
- Yaru is the only character in the Nintendo 64 version of the game to not speak in an actual language (he instead speaks in an almost Morse code-esque manner). He could be speaking in Lylat, as his voice remains the same in both the Europe and Australian release's alternative voice option and the standard English voice option.
- Yaru is given a speaking voice by Jay Ward, in Star Fox 64 3D. His voice is very similar to the one Ward gave Wolf O'Donnell in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- Yaru is often mistaken for a raccoon. However, a tanuki is a Japanese raccoon dog, which is a canine animal, making it fit with most of the Cornerian forces.
- The site also describes him as being "scheming" which fits with folklore and pop culture's tanukis being reputed to be mischievous and jolly.
- In the 3DS remake, it is also possible that he works aboard the Great Fox, as he and ROB 64 share the same background in the Communications Channel.
|Cornerian Army Commanding Officers|
|General Pepper | Peppy Hare | Captain Shears | Bill Grey|
|Dog Soldiers | Beltino Toad | Dash Bowman | Vivian Hare | Yaru de Pon | Vixy Reinard|
|Cooperations / Army Fractions|
|Cornerian Defense Force | Bulldog Squadron | Husky Squadron | Cornerian Academy | Space Dynamics|
|Star Fox (team) | Free-As-A-Bird | G-Zero Grand Prix | Star Falco|
|Cornerian Fighter | Cornerian Fighter (Assault) | Cornerian Cruiser | Cornerian Assault Carrier | General's flagship | Monkey Arrow|
|Radar Sites | Sentry Bot | Re-block|
|Fichina Base | Katina Frontline Base | Katina Outpost | Corneria City | Climate control center | Orbital Gate|